PDA

View Full Version : Any Uniden Home Patrol users?

KG5UN
01-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Just curious if there are any other scanner buffs on this list?

If so, are any of you using the Uniden Home Patrol in your travles?

I saw one briefly yesterday and was very impressed with it's capabilities. I really enjoy having a scanner with me when I visit new places and it really looks like this unit would simplify things for me.

Anyone?

One Country Boy
01-08-2012, 08:50 PM
I used to be a huge scanner buff... easedropping on cellular and all that stuff. Digital ruined it all for me.:waggle:

I keep a Realistic scanner in the motorhome. It's an old one. The last they made, I think that covered the cell bands. I like to set it up and listen to locals. More and more public service has gone digital though.

Please explain Uniden Home Patrol or send me a link please. Thank you.

KF7NJC
01-08-2012, 11:01 PM
HomePatrol makes sense to me for RV'ing. It uses the Radio Reference database to obtain frequencies for local areas which are defined by zip code or determined by interfacing the scanner with a GPS. Trunked systems and digital systems are automatically programmed by the radio and database. The updated database is downloaded via the internet and uploaded into the scanner by USB cable.

For more, check the Uniden site...
http://www.uniden.com/scanners/icat/scanners_b2c/

It sure beats manually entering frequencies.

Radio
01-09-2012, 03:24 PM
We do not have a scanner forum. Should interest dictate we could set one up.

Andy N1ORK
01-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Well, it's a radio/gadget Wade, so I say leave it where it is.
My friend KB1JJX just picked one up, and he really likes it. It could use an external discone antenna though to pick up farther. The little telescoping whip is ok, but.........

KG5UN
01-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Thanks to all for the replies.
I will put this scanner on my wish list for now!

KC1BUD
01-15-2012, 01:39 PM
Actually I have been interested in getting a digital, currently I have a handheld non-digital the next city(where I was raised) west of here has so far refused to go digital so it proves to still be useful to me.
I would love to get a digital to augment my storm watching capabilities.

KC1BUD
01-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Thanks to all for the replies.
I will put this scanner on my wish list for now!

New ones are kind of pricey, huh? What's a few hundred dollars. :jitter:

Andy N1ORK
01-15-2012, 07:36 PM
@KG5UN Ed, you may want to look at the GRECOM PSR-800 EZ Scan. It has many of the same features as the Uniden, but costs about $50 less. It also has a BNC antenna connector.

KG5UN
01-17-2012, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the tip Andy. I have been looking at that one also but keep going back to the Uniden. Having the database in there already and the GPS control really make it look pretty sweet.

Maybe I can save my pennies for when we start traveling more.