PDA

View Full Version : Coming down to the tire...

Radio
02-10-2012, 05:19 PM
or where the rubber meets the road.

Alas, after 85,000 happy miles the tread on my original equipment Michelin LTX MS/2 tires is almost down to the tread wear indicators. If I weren't towing I'd ride them out another 5,000 miles.

I have also decided to go with a slightly bigger tire, 265/70 17" as opposed to the original 255/65 17". The new tire(s) are about 1.5 inches taller than the originals.

After some comparison shopping the finalists are, based on performance numbers and what I can afford:

Cooper Discoverer LTX vs Goodyear Wrangler AT/S

Here's a blow by blow: (with the original Michelin's thrown in for comparison. Remember they were a smaller tire.

Tire.........Speed......Load.....Warranty....UTQG. ....Price OTD.....Rebate

Cooper........S..........115.........65,000......5 20 AB.....$740............$100
Goodyear....S..........113........unknown....360 AB.....$728............$50
Originals.....S..........108.........60,000......4 20 AB

So I think I'm going with the Coopers. I've not owned any Coopers before. Anybody got experience with them? I have owned at least one set of Goodyear, and they were decent, get-what-you-pay-for tires. But did not WOW me like getting 85,000 out of these factory equipment/original Michelin tires.

BTW the Michelin equivalents are $1126.46 OTD.

The Goodyear guy is my Ford dealer. He doesn't know beans about tires and said Cooper was a "cheap, no name house brand" and then answered my "max load in pounds" question with "42 psi" :whistle: I noticed he sells Mastercraft which is a Cooper brand. :waggle:

However his road hazard insurance is only $8, whereas the Cooper guy want's $90 for his. (Which I have declined in this price) I haven't torn up a tire in quite a while, so I'll do without.

Anybody out there despise Cooper tires? Why?

TXiceman
02-13-2012, 07:41 AM
I have run Coopers in the past and no problems. Make sure they do not come from China and check the date codes to be sure they are fresh tires.

Personally, I prefer to run Micheleins since I never have any tire issues with them.

My new to me trailer I installed Goodyear G114 Commerical trailer tires, load range H, 17.5" since they will warranty the tire damage to the trailer and none of the others will.

On the truck, by going to a taller tire (larger diameter), you will effectively change your rear drive ration from like a 3.73 to a lower number like a 3.55 which will decrease the towing capacity and also change the speed odometer reading.

Ken

Dizzy-Dick
02-14-2012, 10:46 AM
A little over a year ago I put B.F. Goodrich on my class-C. They did a fine job on my trip through 13 states, but of course they were new. I now need to put new 16.5" tires on the Dutch Star. They look like new but they are original and it is a 2005 model. Everyone tells me that tires need replaced after 7 years regardless of wear. What do you think? And what brand do you recomned? This is the first time I have owned a class-A Diesel.

W5DOK
02-14-2012, 03:03 PM
After a few years, the oils in the rubber drys out and the tire no longer flexs or it rots. Either way, about 7 years is the limit to be safe. On RV's, mileage is seldom the culprit. You trade them in and Manuel takes them , mounts them on his truck and runs them another 100,000 miles without a problem. On the RV, you run them another 1,000 miles and they blow and take $100K worth of fiberglass with them.:D If you're unlucky enough to have Goodyear GY 670's on your steer axle, then it's a whole new problem.

WD8QBQ
02-14-2012, 05:48 PM
It's time for you to get new tires. :poke: All of the prior reasons are correct.

Continental tires have a good reputation in the commercial bus industry as well as Michelin.

FMCA has a special pricing deal with Michelin. If you do not already belong it could be worth your while to join. :idea: Depending on the quantity of tires you need you could be $$ ahead by joining FMCA.

JIM :)

Radio
02-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Genuine made in USA Cooper Discoverer H/T tires installed all the way around, $640 after rebate.

Road real nice coming home from the shop, like a new truck. I think the shop screwed up and installed the next grade up, because the final bill was $44 more than we agreed on, so they adjusted the price (after some hassle with the computer) and away we went.

The shop was understaffed, however, and the job took about 3 hours.

Dizzy-Dick
02-15-2012, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the information. You just reinforced what I thought. Will call for prices and an appointment to have tires installed. Thanks again.

KF5BET
02-16-2012, 09:24 PM
I have Michelins on the truck (almost two years) and the have held up really nice. Love the ride and they have about 25k miles on them with no apparent wear. So far I am happy.

Had coopers on my '65 Chevy truck back in school. Went through those tires pretty quick, but I think the burnouts had something to do with that! I really liked that tire as well though.