PDA

View Full Version : Bad week.

TXiceman
03-14-2012, 08:50 PM
It started last Friday when I took the 5er into the shop for a slide problem. I got home and was picking up the car and headed to work. My wife fell and broke her right leg. Lucky I was there and got her splinted and hauled off to the emergency clinic.

Tuesday afternoon they laid me off. Work has been slow and I had been on overhead since Christmas.

So now things need to get better.....

Ken

One Country Boy
03-14-2012, 10:46 PM
Aw... so sorry to hear that Ken. Sorry about the wife and definitely hate to hear about your employment. We keep hearing this economy is on the rise, but I still have my doubts. It's an election year and who knows what to believe. I better stop before I get political and get a demerit.:waggle:

Good luck to ya Ken. You will be on our minds.

W9WLS
03-15-2012, 12:23 AM
Employment still seems to be down all over , at least from what I see and hear around here.
One of the locale coal mines (non union) just laid off 40 people on three shift's.
Glad I'm retired !
"The only way to tell if a Political is lying is to look see if his lip's are moving "

Sorry abt the bad luck Ken !

Radio
03-15-2012, 03:56 AM
Wow, that's tough. A double whammy! :pray:

One Country Boy
03-15-2012, 08:47 AM
Employment still seems to be down all over , at least from what I see and hear around here.
One of the locale coal mines (non union) just laid off 40 people on three shift's.
Glad I'm retired !
"The only way to tell if a Political is lying is to look see if his lip's are moving "

Sorry abt the bad luck Ken !

John,

I keep seeing these reports that the employment situation is improving and all these new jobs created but I just don't see it happening.

There was a report on ABC Evening News, a couple of weeks ago. The report stated that many of our jobs are coming back from China. The reason they went there in the first place they said was "cheap labor". So why come back, labor is still higher here in the U.S.? The report went on to state: that is correct, but they had learned that the American worker produced (I think it was) 4 times that of a Chinese worker.

I'm sitting there thinking this is propaganda. Not true and it "just ain't happening". I would tell people, do NOT be fooled by what is reported on our news media. They are part of the problem, not the solution.

TXiceman
03-15-2012, 09:40 AM
I was planning to retire and get a job as a Walmart door greeter, but walmart is no longer using door greeters...so much for plans.

Seriously, I can probably get a lower level engineering job at 60% of what I was making.

But I do have a good lead to do some contract work, three days a week in my field.

Ken

W9WLS
03-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Jim:
As far as I'm concerned, the "BIG THREE" networks are greatly influenced by the current administration and can't be trusted to be UN-bisesed, so far "FOX" seems to be UN-touchable.
The unemployment stats may be down a bit but that could be because the numbers reported only show what is currently on unemployment and not the total of the current plus those whose unemployment has run out and are still looking for job's .
As to job's coming back , I can't see it, the work was farmed out to China and Mexico with "NAFTA" because of cheap labor NOT better quality of produced goods, the real problem in this country seem to be a combination of "MISMANAGEMENT" AND GOVERNMENT REGULATION not the real American Worker !
There's my rant for the morning, I've been up since midnight (one of those night's) and I can get on a real SOAP-BOX on all of the above but will try not to here.
73, John

W9WLS
03-15-2012, 10:05 AM
I was planning to retire and get a job as a Walmart door greeter, but walmart is no longer using door greeters...so much for plans.

Seriously, I can probably get a lower level engineering job at 60% of what I was making.

But I do have a good lead to do some contract work, three days a week in my field.

Ken

I'd never make it at "WALLETT WORLD" as a greater, "Hey lady ,,, you want me to draw a smily-face on this duct tape for those screaming kids ? "
I'd do better at Lowes or Home Depot , I've seen all the "Home Improvement" series and re-runs ;-))) .

Good Luck with what ever you wind up doing !

73, John

Radio
03-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Ken...

What is your field?

BTW, my take home is half that of my last job, and a third of what I made when the Islamists knocked the towers down. If the house wasn't paid for we would be so screwed.

KF5BET
03-15-2012, 08:35 PM
Sorry to hear about the bad news Ken...Hope your lead turns into something concrete.
Hope the wife is doing better as well.

wa8yxm
03-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Sell house and full time.? Seriously other than I liet the bank sell it for me, that's what I did.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, May you find an even better employer who seriously needs someone with your qualifications.

One Country Boy
03-17-2012, 07:36 AM
Jim:
As far as I'm concerned, the "BIG THREE" networks are greatly influenced by the current administration and can't be trusted to be UN-bisesed, so far "FOX" seems to be UN-touchable.
The unemployment stats may be down a bit but that could be because the numbers reported only show what is currently on unemployment and not the total of the current plus those whose unemployment has run out and are still looking for job's .

I'm in total agreement with you John. I'm really surprised that FNC has been allowed to continue. Don't you know they (The Admin) are so ready to "shut them up". If there is another 4 years, I look for big changes to take place. Most we will not be so happy about. I know there is a policey here of "no political and/or religious discussions". It's very difficult not to talk about when it effects everyone's life as it does and the lives of friends like Wade and Ken who have seen huge changes because of the loss of jobs.

John, you are so correct about the inaccuracy of the unemployment rate in our country. The ONLY thing they count, are those applying for unemployment compensation. My wife and I have been discussing this inaccuracy and the reason for it for three years. I just now see it start to be mentioned on the news media.

Radio
03-17-2012, 07:47 AM
It's OK Jim, sometimes you just have to vent.

:soap:

One Country Boy
03-17-2012, 04:05 PM
It's OK Jim, sometimes you just have to vent.

:soap:

:)

Thank you Wade... Hard not to get involved as I said. I really worry about our country, our kids and grandkids. What life is going to be like for them.

TXiceman
03-17-2012, 05:18 PM
I am a registered mechanical engineer, specialized in industrial refrigeration, heat transfer and thermodynamics. I have two interviews lined up for this coming week, both contract work.

We are ready to go full-time, except we are still living next door to the 87 year old Mother-in-law and taking care of her. The minute she is ready to head to a senior care center, our house goes on the market. We have too much tied up in the house to walk away and it is close to being paid off.

The contract work sounds good.

Ken

One Country Boy
03-17-2012, 05:35 PM
Ken, I'm glad you have some prospects for employment. Makes me feel better.

I didn't know that you and the wife were planning to go full time Rv'ing. Good deal. Glad to hear it.

I still wonder what happened to the ham that used to be on here when I first joined. Seems like he was a W7, out in Arizona or New Mexico. They had just closed on their house and had the RV packed for full timing. We've not seen him since. Don't let that happen to you!:waggle:

No seriously, I wonder what happened to him. I can look back and find him, he made a lot of posts on the forum.

One Country Boy
03-18-2012, 09:12 AM
The guy I was speaking of was W7WV, from Prescott, AZ. His name was also Ken. Andy and I have discussed him a few times. He just disappeared from the forum one day. The last time he was on was March of 2010. He was on another RV Forum that I used to also frequent. He stopped checking in there as well. Anyone remember W7WV ? I see his QRZ.COM page was last edited sometimes in 2011, I forget the date. He just seemed to be a nice guy and good member. He and the wife had just closed on selling their home and were looking forward to hitting the road full time. Anyone know what happened to him ?

TXiceman
03-18-2012, 05:01 PM
Jim, have not seen or heard of W7WV.

I have built a nice stack to put the radio, tuner, power supply and Signal Link USB into one location. I now have the Comet CHA250 clone from JTV rigged on the trailer. I still need to run the coax to convenient location in a bay. I also plan to carry my Carolina Windom 80 short with me for the times I can get some wire up.

I'll post a photo of the radio in the current shack as well as the portable shack.

With all of the mixed reviews on the Comet, I was pleasantly surprised to work stations on several bands a couple of weeks back when I had it up for the first time.

Ken

Radio
03-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Ken,

Please keep us advised on your situation.

TXiceman
03-24-2012, 04:41 AM
Well, (and that is a deep subject) I accepted a contract position with Dow Chemical for about 3% less than i was making. It is through Kelly Services and they have full benefits, matching 401K and paid time off. I start to work on April 2nd.

They have an extensive screening and background check that will take a week to complete.

Ken

W9WLS
03-24-2012, 06:10 AM
Glad to hear that you have something going Ken !

I never have thought much of "Kelly's" way of doing thing's but if it put's $$ in your pocket that's a good thing.
I'd still keep an eye out for something that is not through a "SERVICE" though.

Radio
03-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Well, (and that is a deep subject) I accepted a contract position with Dow Chemical for about 3% less than i was making. It is through Kelly Services and they have full benefits, matching 401K and paid time off. I start to work on April 2nd.

They have an extensive screening and background check that will take a week to complete.

Ken

WOW. :jitter: That was mercifully short and the cut livable. I have had a contract with Kelly before and they seem to be a good company to work for. And I haven't heard too many complaints about Dow Chemical either.

This might turn out well. But that is a deep subject. :waggle:

How is the wife?

TXiceman
03-24-2012, 10:17 AM
John, Kelly Services is not a service company. They are a staffing agency. My wife had worked for them in the past and they seem to do pretty good by the people working for them.

Seems a lot of companies are going the temp route now. They don;t have to worry about any of the staffing issued, less human resources and headaches. The client company pays a flat rate to Kelly for my services it is a tax advantage for them.

They have a few folks that have been there for 6 or 7 years now.

I really only work for another 1-1/2 years and then cut back to part time and get to enjoy life. Hope we can hit the road in a couple of years at the most.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Ken

W9WLS
03-24-2012, 12:36 PM
John, Kelly Services is not a service company. They are a staffing agency. My wife had worked for them in the past and they seem to do pretty good by the people working for them.

Seems a lot of companies are going the temp route now. They don;t have to worry about any of the staffing issued, less human resources and headaches. The client company pays a flat rate to Kelly for my services it is a tax advantage for them.

They have a few folks that have been there for 6 or 7 years now.

I really only work for another 1-1/2 years and then cut back to part time and get to enjoy life. Hope we can hit the road in a couple of years at the most.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Ken

You folks call them a "STAFFING" company ,,, up here we call them a service company because they provide a staffing service and usually take a cut for doing so until such a time as the person THEY provide becomes a FULL HIRE to what ever company they provided their service to in the first place and even then if I remember they get a commission of some sort.

Really doesn't matter much, your back to work and that's what count's !

One Country Boy
03-25-2012, 07:22 AM
Yes Ken, as Wade said, please keep us updated on your situation. I don't think you answered the question on how your XYL was? If you did, I missed it. Hope she is doing OK?

This thing about the new employer checking you out before the hire. If they find out you are a member of this group, you may never get passed security.:waggle:

Good luck to you Ken. Keep us updated.

WD8QBQ
03-25-2012, 08:51 AM
Glad your back to work Ken. Starting April 2, well that gives you piece of mind.

Had it been start on April 1, well that would be suspect........:whistle:

JIM :bag:

TXiceman
03-25-2012, 10:06 AM
The XYL is getting around on one crutch and goes back to the ortho DR on Wednesday, hopefully to get a shorter walking cast.

Ken