PDA

View Full Version : New member from the Beautiful Coachella Valley

Jamison
05-28-2012, 11:28 AM
Hi..... New member here. I'm a general class operator living in Thousand Palms California. I do a bit of RV'ing in a 2008 HR Arista Class A. My wife and I love to travel the highways of the west and I often combine our love for camping with my love for Ham radio.

KF5BET
05-28-2012, 01:22 PM
Welcome aboard Jay! Glad you could make it.

Bunch of nice guys on here, plenty of reading material throughout the site.

Galen
KF5BET

Radio
05-28-2012, 04:41 PM
I often combine our love for camping with my love for Ham radio.

Then you are in the right place. :welcome:
Jump right in and join the fun.

One Country Boy
05-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Welcome aboard Jay... 1947 must have been a very good year. :) I see you and I were both born in that year.

Glad you found us. You will not find a better bunch of guys and gals then right here. I'm in a little rural town about 25 miles from Panama City, FL.

Is that your father on your QRZ page, in the photo? Or, is that you on your Dad's station? Looks like some good old AM and CW gear there.

Jump right in and post often with us. I will be looking forward to reading your posts. Oh yes, are you now retired? If so what did you do Jay?

Jamison
05-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Hi All

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Jim.... That's me in about 1956-57 setting at my Dads and brothers station. My dad got me interested in radio at about 8 years old. I was the hands on guy always building stuff like my dad. I must have built 20 - 25 Heathkit projects by the time I was 12. You asked if I am retired and the answer is yes. I retired from a life of many careers but the last work I did was as a project manager for a major medical equipment manufacture for about 9 years. I was responsible for the installation process of there equipment in hospitals through out North America.

Thanks for asking

WD8QBQ
06-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Welcome, Jay.

:welcome:

N3LYT
06-02-2012, 07:13 PM
Hi I’m a new guy too from Maine. After 20+ years I have a renewed interest in ham radio now that I’m retired and I love to camp so it’s the best of both worlds. Next month I’m going for my general class and am having a ball on 10 meters. Here is my camper set up that I hope to use next week on a camping adventure. The antenna is a 10,12,and 15 (the elements slide in and out) meter rotatable dipole on fiberglass poles up about 25’ It’s pretty dang flat on all 3 bands waiting to put it to full use. I have lot of questions about RV hamming but that will wait till next time DE N3LYT, Tim.

Andy N1ORK
06-03-2012, 05:05 AM
Hi Tim,
Welcome to the ORR group!:welcome: Nice antenna set up and good luck on the General upgrade. You'll enjoy the new bands.
We have a seasonal park model in Freedom, NH (FN43ku). The place is called 'The Bluffs of Danforth Bay' and is a camping resort for 50+. It's about 20 miles from Maine off of RTEs 25 and 153. I use an Yeasu FT-857D with an LDG ATU into a G5RVjr dipole up about 40' into the trees.
Again, welcome aboard and Happy Camping!

One Country Boy
06-03-2012, 09:14 AM
Hi Tim,

Welcome to you as well. Glad to have you. Good luck on the general class ticket. I'm sure it will not be a problem for you.

Congrats on recently retiring and getting back into radioing. It's a great hobby and public service. You live in a beautiful area, I'm sure there are many good campgrounds up there. I'm in the Florida panhandle where it's almost too hot to camp right now. We were up in the Smokey Mountains a few weeks back, would like to be there right now.

Ask your questions Tim. Ask away. These guys have done some of it all and I'm sure will have answers and suggestions. A good bunch it is !!

N3LYT
06-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the welcome. I worked for a Sheriff dept. in Maine as the electronics dept chief so my hamming was just during the hour commute back and forth and when I got home I was pretty much done with electronics for the day. I have not figured out this site yet but I did post some stuff under the antenna section and it seems like I'll get a good response nice bunch of people here. The picture was taken in my yard (I have an 80 acre back yard) I'm in Brownfield Maine 8 miles from Fryeburg right on the Saco river ironically across the river from a large camp ground for whom I work part time doing their electrical work.

10-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Good morning to all..
I AM VE7MIH, IN BC CANADA
My YL is VA7CDN
We travel in a Rexhall Roseair (39.5 ) pusher.
George our Havanese is the guard dog ( ha, ha, )

Catch you later down the log..

Radio
10-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Robert,

Welcome aboard! :welcome:

Andy N1ORK
10-28-2012, 05:59 AM
Welcome aboard Robert and Darlene!:welcome:
Hope the earthquake didn't impact you badly.
Great bunc of folks here waiting for your comments, questions and photos.
73!

:canada:

KF5BET
10-28-2012, 11:57 AM
Welcome aboard to you and your wife Robert.

Come back and visit often. Lots of good people and threads to follow here.

TXiceman
10-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Welcome aboard from another 1947 model.

Ken