PDA

View Full Version : New scope for the shack

KF5BET
07-25-2012, 11:42 PM
Yep that's right, I now have a scope for the shack!

My uncle gifted me a Tek 2225 dual channel scope. He retired and does not have a need for it anymore so he gave it to me.

He said it has a vertical problem in that he could not position the trace on channel 1 higher than the baseline. I had this problem as well, but after reading the service manual and following the instructions on initial setup, the traces on both channels seem to be working fine. Hopefully this is not a intermittent problem.

So now I have to buy a couple of probes for it and I am good to go. Does anyone have any comments on what probe to buy (remember I am frugal....). I saw some on ebay for about 10 bucks but I dunno:think:

W9WLS
07-26-2012, 06:08 AM
What sort of probe you buy or build depends on what your intended application is.
Some are nothing more than a capacitor for isolation.
some are "TUNED" for a given range.
If you intend to monitor your transmitter output there are adapters for that .
Do a little research, learn how to use the scope and you will learn what you need for what you want to do.

KF5BET
07-26-2012, 08:32 AM
Thanks Doc: I realized after I posted that I did not fully describe what I would use these probes for. I realize that there are many different applications. Probably just go for something general for now!

wa8yxm
07-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Let me say this about that scope.... DROOL...

Used one not much different in college, Nice scope.

TXiceman
07-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Been going through my Father-in-laws shop and come upon a few items that may be of interest to some of the Hams.

Weston lab type volt meter in a big wooden case.
Heathkit oscillascope- won't power up
Heathkit shortwave receiver - won't power up on 12 VDC and the ni-cads are shot.
Heathkit variable AC power supply. I have not tries to power it up yet.

If any interest, I can post a photo and more info.

Ken

NN5I
07-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Nearly any decent 10x probe will work well on a 50MHz oscilloscope. Me, I prefer real Tektronix probes. These can be bought inexpensively; for example see

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-P6122-10-X-Passive-Probe-New-/280928444087?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4168a3deb7

On my Tek 475A I use P6063B probes (fast for this 350MHz scope), but also have a set of 100MHz probes (P6105) that work as well when I don't need the speed, or (for example) when I need a 3rd probe for a separate sync input.

Radio
07-26-2012, 08:30 PM
A little more about the SW receiver...

Are the manuals available?

TXiceman
07-29-2012, 03:03 PM
It is a model GR76 and the manuals are available on line. The originals have not been seen.

Ken