PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another New Guy

N8WTT
02-05-2013, 02:05 PM
Greetings to all on forum!
My call sign is N8WTT.... Just bought an RV...
First Question:
I purchased a backup camera system ("wired") it comes with a 60 foot cable.
Want to run the cable back to front without too much trouble... Thought down the back and under the coach.... only problem, how to hide the wire down the back.... didnt think those plastic raceways would hold up.... looking for ideas.

Gary

Radio
02-05-2013, 03:24 PM
First off, welcome to Open Roads Radio.net. :hisign:

Second: What kind of rig is this? TT, 5th, motorhome? If I were doing the job on my 5th wheel, I'd wrap the cable in that ribbed automotive wire harness sleeve and ty-wrap it to the LP gas pipe that, in my case, runs the entire length of the trailer.

Tell us a bit about your set up...

wa8yxm
02-06-2013, 10:01 AM
How to hide the wires.... Often the rear cap is a "False front" (Well rear) as it were, that is there is a gap, as much as six inches between the rear panel and the actual rear wall of the vehicle, this gap carries wires for the tail lights, and such, also it's a good place to hide the wires for the camera.

First: Verify this is the case (slide under and LOOK UP, with a flashlight)

now drill a small hole next to the camera mount bracket, put a clamshell vehtelator over it if you wish (not really needed) once done but shove the wires in the hole, and let 'em drop down the gap, then run 'em along the rails and there you are (or drop a fish line down the hole and pull the wires up in your case)

The clamshell ventelator, painted to match and properly caulked can seal it but in this case, even that is not important, if it leaks, the leak drips down to the ground no harm done.

NN5I
02-06-2013, 09:11 PM
The clamshell ventelator, painted to match and properly caulked can seal it but in this case, even that is not important, if it leaks, the leak drips down to the ground no harm done.

No harm, unless there is raw wood in there -- and usually there is.

Frequently there are a couple 2x4s or such, to provide a strong mounting for such things as the roof ladder (else the screws for the ladder would be merely in the fiberglass shell, not very strong).

So, seal the leak. RTV is good for this.

KF5BET
02-10-2013, 08:10 AM
Welcome aboard Gary...
Good luck with the wire routing.