PDA

View Full Version : Radios the glow in the dark

N7OQ
12-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Awhile back a guy at work gave a old receiver he had collecting dust, It is a Hallicrafters SX-100, didn't work and not in perfect shape. This is a Good size receiver takes a lot of space on my desk. Anyway I replaced the electrolytic Caps and found a great tube tester at a garage sale for $15. I replaced the bad tubes but it still did not work made weird noise but no real audio. I quickly found that the B+ was low, real low with further troubleshooting I found that a cap was shorted, so I replaced it with a modern one got my B+ back and now it works great. I did a quick alignment but I need to get a better RF signal generator. I'm missing a fer knobs and so far I haven't been able to find them, might have to use modern replacement ones.

This receiver does a good job, good sensitivity and selectivity, the analog dial is easy to use once you figure it out, there are 2 tuning dials one is a main tune and the other is a band spread dial. You move the mail dial to a mark then the band spread dial is calibrated for real fine tuning. These old radios are a lot of fun to play with and my Son loves to go in the shack and tune it around the bands to see what he can hear.

Now I need to get a tube type transmitter and get it working. I plan on going to a Hamfest in February at Monterey, CA So might find one at the flea market, who knows.

wa8yxm
12-23-2007, 01:38 PM
How about home-brewing a tube rig. Several articles in QST over the decades

As for alignment, Try putting WWV where it belongs. that is about the easiest way

Radio
12-23-2007, 08:32 PM
That reminds me, I have an old Hallicrafters I need to work on.

So many radios, so little time.

Radio

w6pea
12-24-2007, 05:34 PM
And to think, I threw an old Hallicrafter in the dumpster a couple of months ago.
I have access to lot of boat anchors. A lot of Heath kit equipment.

N7OQ
12-24-2007, 11:49 PM
And to think, I threw an old Hallicrafter in the dumpster a couple of months ago.
I have access to lot of boat anchors. A lot of Heath kit equipment.

Oh man don't tell me that, they get good money for this stuff on Ebay.

radiow6lar
01-18-2008, 10:56 AM
HT-37 sitting on a shelf in my shop. Needs some tlc but looks to be all there. Real dirty though. I keep it around in hopes of restoring it and putting it on the air. I believe it does DSB for AM. And MAN, its heavy! I've got a complete new lineup of tubes put away for it too. Now to retire and do the time on it.
;)

Not going to carry this along anytime in my RV.

w6pea
01-19-2008, 05:54 PM
Oh man don't tell me that, they get good money for this stuff on Ebay.

I know it makes me sick to my stomach to think I could have got someone to pay me for a radio which sk that I knew said it was worthless:mad: