PDA

View Full Version : Do you know what a rip tide looks like?

Radio
06-21-2013, 06:24 PM
RIP CURRENT: Stay safe while at the beach this summer! This could save your life. Do you know what a rip current looks like? We have probably all seen them and weren't aware of the danger. When you see waves and then a small section of "flat" waves in between, that's a rip current. The water is moving in the opposite direction. Stay clear of these areas!! This is NOT a calm place to hang out with small children.

(Ripped off from social media)

And of course the way to escape a rip current is to swim sideways, parallel to the beach, until you have cleared the outflowing current. Then swim towards the beach.

NN5I
06-21-2013, 08:27 PM
Interesting. I've lived in seaside communities much of my life, and never known that rip tides could be visible.

KF5BET
06-21-2013, 10:44 PM
Very interesting to see. I've read up on rip tides, but to see it very clearly in the picture is very informative.

I think a field trip to view the real thing is in order....

Andy N1ORK
06-22-2013, 01:16 AM
Seen this on FB before, still nice to know what to look for when going out on the beach.

Radio
06-22-2013, 09:37 AM
I have seen this, but did not realize what I was looking at. I just assumed there was some irregularity out there that caused the waves not to crest over in that particular place.

I suspect we have all seen it, especially those who have access to the beach, and paid no attention to it. Have to keep the kids out of there.