PDA

View Full Version : Problem with the web site?

NN5I
07-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Hey Wade --

Lately when I check in, I get the message shown below, and can't do anything until I check yes. I think it's likely one of the ads, but something on the web page is behaving badly. Just letting you know.

Radio
07-05-2013, 11:47 AM
OK, thanks.

I'm not seeing it on Opera, Firefox or the IE we have at work. But I'll keep an eye out for it. If any others see it please let me know.

BTW, what browser are you using?

NN5I
07-05-2013, 12:15 PM
IE8, running in XP SP3. Hang on, I'll check it in 64-bit XP SP2, and also in Win7 64-bit, all of which I have available.

NN5I
07-05-2013, 12:24 PM
It occurs with 32-bit IE8 running in 32-bit XP Pro SP3.

It also occurs in 64-bit IE8 running in 64-bit XP Pro SP2 (there is no SP3 for 64-bit XP).

It doesn't occur with 64-bit IE10 running in 64-bit Windows 7 Pro.

I run all three of these (not at the same time) on a fancy Asus motherboard with an Intel i7-3770K processor at 3.5 GHz, with 32 GB memory.

I use the 32-bit XP Pro most of the time because some of my hardware (for video editing) doesn't run in the other two (no 64-bit drivers), and Outlook Express doesn't exist in Windows 7 and I hate all the other e-mail programs.

TXiceman
07-05-2013, 07:48 PM
We were getting some reports of the same issue over on iRV2 the other day. They also use V-Bulletin.

Ken

Radio
07-05-2013, 09:08 PM
Well, I don't get them on any of my machines. :smash:

There may be merit to the speculation the problem is with ads. Some of the ads I see are related to other interests outside of RV and ham radio so I suspect I'm seeing my own customized set of ads, which are different from what you are seeing. Can you get an idea what ads are up when the error appears?

It is encouraging to see the vBulletin runs OK in the browser once you have clicked the pop up. Which makes me think again it may be the ads.

If I get the message I'll have a poke at it. Until then, sorry, I can't fix what I can't reproduce.

Question: How often does this occur? On every page or just when you first log on?

Radio
07-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Newest Speculation:

The ads are stored on an adserver (well, yeah that makes sense) and when the server doesn't respond quickly to the scripts running in your browser, the browser thinks there is something wrong with the script.

Matt is here at the house for the holidays and he just got a message at the bottom of his EI10 on Windows 7 that "This site is running slow due to a long running script"

So I think the issue is the adservers are slow.

wa8yxm
07-06-2013, 06:26 AM
I get a problem in Firefox too. The problem is with a javascript app and a bad javascript update. I'll re-do the update next week since it's on my end, not the web page's end.

NN5I
07-06-2013, 01:58 PM
Question: How often does this occur? On every page or just when you first log on?

It occurs on nearly every page except the initial page.

When I log on, I scroll down in the initial page to the list of active threads. Then, whenever I click on a thread, I will get this on the thread page. If I go to another thread (after using the back button to return to the initial page with the list of threads), I get it again, with perfect reliability. It doesn't happen on the message-editing pages when I'm either creating a new message or editing an old one.

Radio
07-06-2013, 03:49 PM
I get a problem in Firefox too. The problem is with a javascript app and a bad javascript update. I'll re-do the update next week since it's on my end, not the web page's end.

Let us know if that clears it. The java on my laptop is so old.... :whistle:

Hmmm, I should check my Kindle. :think:

TXiceman
07-06-2013, 07:23 PM
Y'all need to stop going to the oriental girls. com places.

Ken

NN5I
07-07-2013, 04:56 PM
I've cured it. In IE, I clicked:

Tools
Internet Options
Security
Custom Level
Active Scripting
Disable

So far I haven't missed anything, or noticed any difference except that the problem is gone.

Later: My eBay doesn't work right. Phoo.

Still later: had to turn it back on. While it was off, the home page of this web site displayed perhaps ten times more quickly (instantaneously instead of taking five to ten seconds). There must be a heck of a lot of scripts here.