PDA

View Full Version : 50 "life hacks"

Radio
11-09-2013, 12:04 PM
For us olds farts, a "life hack" used to be known as a "helpful hint." Since most of these have to do with the kitchen and foods I put it the galley forum.

http://www.artfido.com/blog/50-life-hacks-to-simplify-your-world/

I don't think the one about the onion works. If you don't want to cry cutting an onion then you slice it in the right direction.

The rubber band on the paint bucket is clever.

You have your choice of 20 ways to organize cables. I still can't figure out how ninjas fold their t shirts.

For what it's worth...

NN5I
11-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Many of these are new to me, and useful.

For onions, though, it's best to chill them overnight in the fridge before cutting. Then the irritating oils won't evaporate nearly as quickly -- almost not at all -- and your eyes won't be irritated.

Andy N1ORK
11-10-2013, 08:16 AM
I think I like the Nutella one the best.

wa8yxm
11-10-2013, 11:37 AM

Yup. That was the best one no doubt.

NN5I
11-10-2013, 02:01 PM

I guess if I had any idea what Nutella is, I'd understand.

Never heard of the stuff. What the heck is Nutella?

Andy N1ORK
11-10-2013, 05:43 PM
Nutella (Italian pronunciation: [nuˈtɛlla]; /nʌˈtɛlə/ or /nuːˈtɛlə/) is the brand name of a hazelnut chocolate spread.[1] Manufactured by the Italian company Ferrero, it was introduced to the market in 1964.

KC1BUD
11-10-2013, 08:18 PM
For us olds farts, a "life hack" used to be known as a "helpful hint." Since most of these have to do with the kitchen and foods I put it the galley forum.

http://www.artfido.com/blog/50-life-hacks-to-simplify-your-world/

I don't think the one about the onion works. If you don't want to cry cutting an onion then you slice it in the right direction.

The rubber band on the paint bucket is clever.

You have your choice of 20 ways to organize cables. I still can't figure out how ninjas fold their t shirts.

For what it's worth...

I have used red nail polish to identify a refrigerator compartment latch when it was turned the wrong way and therefore not latched.

NN5I
11-10-2013, 09:12 PM
Nutella (Italian pronunciation: [nuˈtɛlla]; /nʌˈtɛlə/ or /nuːˈtɛlə/)

[nuˈtɛlla] correct in Italian or English, as long as you pronounce that double L in Italian: [nu 'tel la].

[nʌˈtɛlə] Acceptable in somewhat careless English, incorrect in Italian. In Italian (unlike English), the difference between pronunciation of a single L and a double L is phonemic (that is, it can change the meaning of a word); and shwa [ə] is unusual in native spoken Italian. Compare polo and pollo: polo is the North or South Pole, or a game played on horseback; pollo is a chicken, or sometimes a naïve person. They are not pronounced the same. Correction: [nʌ ˈtɛl la].

[nu:ˈtɛlə] Same as for [nʌˈtɛlə]. Correction: [nu: ˈtɛl la].

Let's stick to French and German; they're easier, especially when you consider that, to speak Italian, you have to learn all those many pronouns, which is an almost impossible task.

KF5BET
11-14-2013, 08:30 PM
My eldest liked the Nutella one as well. I think she could eat her weight of the stuff...

Radio
11-15-2013, 08:52 AM
In a similar trick, I never throw away a Hershey's Chocolate syrup bottle without first rinsing the contents out with milk.

:cow:

Waste not, want not! :D

wa8yxm
11-15-2013, 09:29 AM
Here is another hint:

For a list of all the FDA recalls this year, Food, Feed (Animal) Medicines, Medical products (Tools), and of course Male Enhancement products.

http://community.compuserve.com/diabetes

Click on Messages
Left frame click on NEWS & VIEWS
Click on any thread with FDA RECALLS in it's title
Current one is 2013 FDA Recalls)

It is up to date within the last 48 hours (usually the last 24).