PDA

View Full Version : Mobile hf in my jeep

N7BTH
01-02-2014, 11:12 AM
I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JKU) as my tow vehicle behind our Class A motorhome. We are full timers. I want to install a mobile HF rig in the Jeep partly so my wife does not have to listen to my ham activities, partly to spare the coach electronics the trauma of potential HF interference and, most importantly, so I can get the Jeep to the best places for good HF, where the motor home can't go.

I am considering an ICOM 7100 and some kind of screwdriver antenna. I am wondering if there is anyone here with experience installing something like this in a Jeep. Not a lot of extra space for radio gear.

Thanks

Radio
01-02-2014, 03:08 PM
First things first, welcome aboard. :hisign:

I once had a Ford Ranger with a vhf/uhf and a 10m rig tucked in there. Worked lots of Africa with just a CB antenna and 25 watts on 10m.

Since you don't seem to have much interest in operating the rig while driving, suggest what ever antenna you wind up with be mag-mounted in the middle of the Jeep roof.

Good crew on here. Some other folks will have some opinion/advise here shortly. Again welcome to ORR.net

N3LYT
01-02-2014, 06:31 PM
I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JKU) as my tow vehicle behind our Class A motorhome. We are full timers. I want to install a mobile HF rig in the Jeep partly so my wife does not have to listen to my ham activities, partly to spare the coach electronics the trauma of potential HF interference and, most importantly, so I can get the Jeep to the best places for good HF, where the motor home can't go.

I am considering an ICOM 7100 and some kind of screwdriver antenna. I am wondering if there is anyone here with experience installing something like this in a Jeep. Not a lot of extra space for radio gear.

Thanks

Check out the boys on offroadhams.com or tune into the net Wednesday nights at 8PM eastern on 7.225 there are a lot of guys with Jeeps one of the guys has an entire ham shack in his all the way to 160 complete with a tower!

NN5I
01-02-2014, 07:09 PM
Check out the boys on offroadhams.com or tune into the net Wednesday nights at 8PM eastern on 7.225 there are a lot of guys with Jeeps one of the guys has an entire ham shack in his all the way to 160 complete with a tower!

Yeah, Walt, your Jeep has a tower too. Didn't you say your motor home tows your Jeep?

N7BTH
01-02-2014, 07:48 PM
I don' think a mag mount will work. Roof is pretty much all plastic. Besides I can take it off when it is nice.

Thanks for the tip on the off road web site, I will check it out.

Yes the coach tows the Jeep until we get where we are going and then we do all the exploring in the Jeep. I could mount something on the coach but I think I can do better getting the Jeep up on a mountain - or at least on the side of one.

Lived on our sailboat for 12 years and had a full HF rig there. ICOM 710 with a tuner on the back stay and a Pactor II modem. Would have been nice to keep it but would have left a pretty big hole in the nav station. Too big for the Jeep anyway. Had good luck with Icom and like the remote head on the 7100.

W5DOK
01-03-2014, 05:03 PM
Try mounting the antenna on the spare tire carrier near the hinges and the radio between the seats. Worked for me many years ago.
Doc

wa8yxm
01-04-2014, 08:35 AM
My suggestion is that you watch an INTERNET TV show.. http://twit.tv/hn

You can grab most any episode, Look for one of the principles, Don who does the Newsline report.

He has an HF equipped JEEP and ICOM is a sponsor of the show... They give his contact info during the show.. E-mail him.. I am fairly sure they will respond.

I've had E-mail chats with a few of the folks on that show..

The show is live at 9pm Eastern time on most Wed evenings, you can watch live and also open a 2nd browser window and join in the IRC chat (Just replace HN with IRC and it should work) IF I'm there it's under my call sign.

But Don would be the Jeep owner.. He's needed it a few times already.

N3LYT
01-04-2014, 09:28 AM
Here is W8UZZ's Jeep setup http://www.buzzbar.com/w8uzzjeep.html