PDA

View Full Version : Ever wonder why they put the TV battery in that box?

Radio
01-03-2014, 04:48 PM
On a modern tow vehicle, in this case a 2007 F-150, the battery is contained on a nifty plastic box. What is the purpose of the nifty plastic box?

:think:

1. To protect the vehicle from battery acid.
2. To protect the battery from the extreme environment of the engine compartment and thus extend it's life.
3. It looks nice.
4. All of the above.
5. None of the above. The box is in case the dealer must replace your battery under warranty. He can swap your factory group 65 for a replacement group 59 and you will not know about it until 6 1/2 years later!!

The correct answer is "5"... :fuss:

Well, it least the little battery lasted 6 1/2 years. But still, you have to watch these folks like a hawk and you shouldn't have to.

NN5I
01-03-2014, 09:11 PM
OK, everybody who thinks you don't have to watch car dealers like a hawk, raise your hands. C'mon, raise'em. No one? No one at all?

KF5BET
01-04-2014, 02:39 AM
6 1/2 years seems pretty good to me for a battery. At least you don't have two!

In my '97 Silverado, I have an awesome little black plastic storage box where the second battery would have been located if the truck would have been equipped with diesel. Handy for storing oil, spare belt, etc.

When the wife's Honda battery died, the dealer gave some malarkey about battery being out of warranty...blah blah blah but would gladly sell me a new Honda battery for something like $125.00. Thanks but no thanks. Autozone Duralast Gold series for half that plus full 5 year warranty...good to go.

wa8yxm
01-04-2014, 08:31 AM
One advantage of boxing the battery with a box with a lid is that if you set a wrench down the odds of setting it where it can short out the battery go way, way, way down.

But I too think 5 is the answer.

N3LYT
01-04-2014, 09:16 AM
Mostly it's for the heat. Heat is probably is the best battery killer.