PDA

View Full Version : New to this forum

SierraRon
02-02-2014, 12:13 AM
I just stumbled on this forum and it looks like a fun group. I have read the threads on antennas and this is a topic that I am interested in. I have a screwdriver antenna and I am just trying to figure out how to make it work in my Motor Home. Safe traveling to all.

Ron

NN5I
02-02-2014, 08:03 AM
Welcome aboard, Ron.

Andy N1ORK
02-02-2014, 08:48 AM
Welcome aboard Ron! :welcome:
I have never tried a screwdriver unless it had orange juice and vodka in it.:whistle:
I use a G5RVjr at our camp in NH. But I'm sure there is someone in this group who can help you. Where ever you mount it, you'll need a good ground to the chassis.
73 and :havefun:

Radio
02-02-2014, 04:16 PM
Motorhome vs Antenna.

We get that a lot.

Welcome aboard :radio:

N3LYT
02-02-2014, 05:10 PM
I have a mount on my camper for a screw drive antenna I have my controller in the truck it has a molex plug that I remove and connect it to the screw driver while it's on the camper. The screw drive works pretty good but not as well as the other antennas I use however it is quick and covers 10-80 if your only going to be some where for a short time.

N8CXX
02-06-2014, 12:38 PM
Welcome Ron.

I have a Tar Heels II that I use ground mounted. I just haven't developed the screwdriver mechanism to mount to the ladder of the MH to raise / lower the screwdriver antenna. :)

I also haven't bought a small multi-band radio to keep the MH. One day I'll get it all together.

electricflyer
02-06-2014, 09:44 PM
Looks like you are a good prospect for a Yaesu 857D. For your MH take a look at an Eagle One. See www.w8afx.com. Steve has a home base in Proctorville, OH. Unfortunately he is now paralyzed from the waist down after a back operation. Great guy. I see he has a new MH. He tried to sell his old one and quit traveling but couldn't find a buyer so he remodeled his old one. Now he has stepped up a level. Anyway he has a mount for his antenna to attach to the ladder on a MH.

KF5BET
02-22-2014, 09:03 PM
Sorry for the late coming.....

Welcome aboard Ron. Glad you made it!

ChuckW5KAV
03-15-2014, 09:37 AM
I have both the High Serria screw driver antenna's as well as an Perth outbacker
which I have used on my over the road truck an Class C motor home over the
years. Now that I have been retired for a few years I mounted the outbacker
on my F350 dually tool box and had a stand for the screwdriver to put out
behing the motorhome. Now that we have traded the Class C in an bought a
5th wheel I intend to do the same or run a coax to my tuck while camping.
I believe in lots of grounds, I have ground straps from my truck cab (both
sides) and the be of the truck(both sides and back) to frame. I carry a ground
road (4ft) as well an when I was in the Class C I also used it when camping.
I didn't get to play radio much last year in the 5th wheel but when I did I
had more noise that I ever had in the Class C. I believe this may be from the
inverter not only from my rig but others, I have put in some filter's and choke's
to see if I still noise.

I see ref. to the antenna made by W8AFX at http://www.w8afx.com/ but se
nothing about how tall, how it works I only see a few pictures, one of two
peaces of black PVC connected to a ladder and one of a car with a very
tall antenna on it. So my questions are which picture is the antenna, or what
is the antenna, how's it work, what's it made of

ke0me
03-15-2014, 09:58 PM
Hello all!

Getting ready to go full time RVing with our travel trailer.

Just ordered an ICOM IC-7200 , will arrive next week.

Any suggestions on a simple (and cheap!) vertical antenna and method to mount to either truck or trailer.

Dick
KE0ME

electricflyer
03-15-2014, 09:59 PM
The Eagle One antenna telescopes up 31' and is basically a vertical end fed long wire. I have used it for several years on field day. I half heartedly worked on field day and still had over 100 contacts from all over the us, coast to coast so it does work. I'm sure if you emailed Steve he would gladly answer any of your questions. Very nice guy.

ChuckW5KAV
03-16-2014, 12:48 PM
TNX Electricflyer I saw the picture of the mount on the back of a RV
and the car but didn't really know if that was the antenna or not the
way it wa stated....Guess I read to much into it LOL

tnxs agn