PDA

View Full Version : Not a very good trip until now!

radiow6lar
07-14-2014, 07:15 PM
:rain:We started out a few days before the 4th heading to Ely Nevada and ultimately to Elgin Oregon. On the first day after passing through Las Vegas we started to have an issue with our F-150 AC. It was not working well and was making some rackety noise from the compressor.

To add insult to injury my truck seemed to not want to track well pulling our TT. I stopped a number of times trying to determine why it drove so badly. I finally found the right rear wheel was about to walk off the axle. My dear wife was looking in the rear view mirror and stated the wheel was wobbling!

I found one broken stud and all the other 6 lug nuts about half off their studs. I was able to tighten the 6 but it was not easy. I had removed and painted the wheels about two weeks before our trip and when I put them on the truck I used my torque wrench to bring them to factory specs. I KNOW I did not miss a wheel!

After the 4th in Ely we traveled to Mountain Home Idaho for a night and then on to La Grand and Elgin Oregon. All the while with NO air conditioning and temps running a 100 +. I was able to get the AC fixed, new compressor, accumulator and also the wheel studs and nuts replaced at Legacy Ford in La Grand. Thanks to Good Sam Extended warranty for covering the AC problem. Anyway, all is fixed and we are ready to go on down the road and on to Idaho.

The wife is a lot happier with working AC and so am I! Its been very warm (hot) here in the Pacific Northwest and will continue.

20M band conditions have allowed me to keep in contact with my fellow club members at W6VAH at the Jerry L. Pettis VA Hospital in Loma Linda CA each week day. They operate 9 to 11 Am local Monday through Fridays. 14.255 Give them a call and say hello!
:radio:

wa8yxm
07-15-2014, 09:37 AM
I have had that wheel problem 2x.. Once on a trailer.. Thankfully the trailer was a PUP so a very low center of gravity and it lost traction on a corner and slid into a ditch (Very minor ignorable damage) and that let me find the loose logs... Wife was all over how fast I was driving till I stopped for gas (I was NOT going too fast) and the station attendant told us about another RVer who was not so lucky,, His wheel came off and flippity de doo da.

The other time was my daughter's car.. She had mag-alloy wheels on it (That's how it came) and had a brake job done,,,, The dealer failed to tell her to return for re-tightening of the lugs.. And as a result they paid for the 2ndary damage (or rather fixed everything no charge) New rim (New fender, and a bunch of other new stuff.

That was fun... I am NOT supposed to know more about how to tow cars that multiple year seniority trow truck drivers. But alas.. I do.