PDA

View Full Version : malware threat

Radio
07-19-2014, 08:05 AM
Got a new computer? Running WIndows 7, 8 0r 8.1? Really? Then you might want to be aware of this malicious program by an outfit called Conduit. MacAfee and others will usually spot it. But if not...

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/search-protect-by-conduit-removal/

Usually installed with other seemingly harmless stuff such as media players. Look for a file called spsetup,exe. Some infected web servers will pop up a window saying "Your browser is out of date" but if you are running any sort of Windows 7, 7, 8.1 then your IE is NEVER out of date because Microsoft is always updating it for you, whether you like it or not. If you get such a pop up, abandon that server ASAP.

N3LYT
07-19-2014, 09:15 AM
Yes and it's a real pain to dump two of the files are in hkey files. Flash player updates are a real good place for them to hide be careful of cnet sites.

wa8yxm
07-20-2014, 06:52 AM
Rumor has it the Government has this great big data center (PRISIM) that is recording ALL internet activity.. Seems, if this is true, then it should be rellatively simple to backtrack the virus and find out where "Computer zero" lives (Like Patient Zero) and invite the hacker who wrote it in for a chat. Something like this:

Hackers cost the USA over a billion a year, thus your fine for releasing this virus is 1,000,000,000 dollars. Plus costs (including the cost of PRISIM).. Should turn the hacker's underwear brown and smelly.

N3LYT
07-20-2014, 07:58 AM
Rumor has it the Government has this great big data center (PRISIM) that is recording ALL internet activity.. Seems, if this is true, then it should be rellatively simple to backtrack the virus and find out where "Computer zero" lives (Like Patient Zero) and invite the hacker who wrote it in for a chat. Something like this:

Hackers cost the USA over a billion a year, thus your fine for releasing this virus is 1,000,000,000 dollars. Plus costs (including the cost of PRISIM).. Should turn the hacker's underwear brown and smelly.

Yes that would be good but the problem is most of the damn things are overseas and there isn't much they can do. It's the same thing with telephone calls they can't touch them if they are not in the states. They also hide and hop their IP's so you can't dump the same stuff back on them it would be so nice to infect their computers.

wa8yxm
07-21-2014, 07:32 AM
Oh, I do not think the hackers being overseas would make all that much difference, there are many international laws,, Plus there are ways to convince the host country to take action and many of them are nastier than our government.

I know of one hack attack that was traced to a mid east school.. Many of those countries have laws based upon the Bible passage which says "If your hand is in sin, cast it from you for it is better to enter heaven miamed than to .. Well you get the idea.

So there is a good chance that hacker is missing his right hand today.

Strange they practice that since the forlks who wrote that into the law also do not believe in Jesus. but.. Well... I won't comment farther.

N3LYT
07-21-2014, 09:12 AM
Probability the worst hot beds in the world for hackers and scammers is Russia. If you notice the ad in the left hand column of this page there is an ad for malware removal tools that is not a coincidence.

NN5I
07-21-2014, 09:25 AM
On the left in your screen, malware tools maybe. But on my screen it's ferrite toroids, because that's what I've bought recently on eBay. They track what you look at, and what you buy, and tailor the ads accordingly.

Big Brother is watching you.

electricflyer
07-21-2014, 09:47 AM
The left of the screen says "Ham Radio for Dummies". How did they know that?

NN5I
07-21-2014, 01:22 PM
The left of the screen says "Ham Radio for Dummies". How did they know that?

Must have got you and me mixed up.

Radio
07-21-2014, 06:26 PM
If you notice the ad in the left hand column of this page there is an ad for malware removal tools that is not a coincidence.

You are right, that is no coincidence. The search engines scanned ORR.net, saw we were discussing malware, and inserted ads which the engines thought we would be the most interested in.

Like Carl's toroid's, I looked for a tool box the other day and got ads for tool boxes across all the web sites I visit, even Facebook.

And that's another reason I don't let Sweet Wife use the laptop... no telling WHAT kind of ads I'll see! :bag:

Radio
07-21-2014, 06:29 PM
If you buy stuff out of the little box that says ORR.net Store at the top, a percentage goes to support ORR.net. That's where I see the "Ham Radio for Dummies" book.

Buy one!

Radio
07-23-2014, 06:24 PM
As your able administrator I have been battling Russian hyper aggressive search engines such as Yandex, and a few low life ordinary hacker/spammers from the Ukraine and other lovely places for the last few evenings. You may have noticed we were having as many as 65 "guests" on the site at once. Now we are down to our usual 8 - 12 robots, all belonging to friendly helpful folks like Bing, Goggle and so on.

And having looked around a bit and made sure ORR.net is safe and tidy, I'm going to bed early. :sleep:

NN5I
07-23-2014, 07:54 PM
Большое спасибо, Радио.

Andy N1ORK
07-25-2014, 05:57 AM
Велике спасибі Радіо, але я думаю, що ваші українські 'hacks' зі Східної України, де бойові дії відбувається. Слідкуйте за хорошу роботу Wade!

ps
No need to say 'The Ukraine' just Ukraine is correct.

Radio
07-25-2014, 12:40 PM
Andy is our official ambassador to Eastern Europe. :D

NN5I
07-25-2014, 05:31 PM
I expect two packages from [the] Ukraine in the next month or so. Last week I dropped my old stopwatch, which lost its voice and became paralyzed. So I went on eBay looking for a replacement. I bought two, one an Агат and the other a Слава. Each is coming from [the] Ukraine, and each was manufactured in the old USSR, or CCCP.

I write [the] because, although no equivalent of the is used in either Ukrainian or Russian, that is mostly because neither of these languages has such a word. Many Slavic languages lack articles. There are exceptions: Bulgarian, for example, has a postposited definite article. When translating from either Russian or Ukrainian to English, there are many occasions to insert the definite article the.

Just as it would be odd to translate from the Russian a sentence that literally said Man rides in boat without changing it to A man is riding in the boat to make it good English, one may reasonably use the before such place-names as Philippines or Ukraine or Amazon or Netherlands or Transvaal -- even though natives of these places usually leave it out even when writing English. Using the here is so common in English, even very literate English, that it would be a stretch to call it an error; and I personally think it sounds better. One man's opinion, of course, and certainly no more than that.

Oops, I goofed on the Netherlands -- they use the equivalent of the even in Dutch, and object when it's left out in English. My old friend and Jujutsu master Ben Bergwerf has chided me on that.

Radio
07-25-2014, 07:05 PM
If you have ever read the 1611 King James Bible, all those words in italics are that way because they do not exist in the original languages. Verbs of being are nearly non existent in Hebrew. Double (and even triple) negatives are allowed in Greek.

I am, after all, a genuine Bible College drop out.

As far as "the" goes, some seem to work and others don't.

Workie: The United States, the Philippines, the Netherlands
Not Workie: The France, the Great Britain, the Brazil

But back to spammers: There has been a serious uptick in malicious internet activity from former USSR states, esp. Russia, towards U.S. interests. Have spent much time this week blocking great swaths of IP addresses from these regions. Plus a few Chinese and Koreans.

I'd rather spend my time on here goofing off with you guys.

NN5I
07-26-2014, 09:21 AM
Interesting, Wade. I had always thought that the italics indicated only that the particular word wasn't present (was only implied) in the original text, even though it might actually exist, and sometimes be used, in other contexts in the original language -- much as the Russian word for is, though it does exist, is very rarely used (only in expressions like "business is business"). So a Russian would say (using the English alphabet for the moment) On ofitser, literally "he officer", rather than on yest' ofitser, literally "he is officer". I've never studied any of the original biblical languages (except Latin), and I'm glad to have my error corrected.

As for double negatives, the silly idea that they're ungrammatical in English was first posited in the 18th century by self-proclaimed grammarians like Lowth and Murray, who invented many "rules" that didn't exist and had never been followed in English. But I don't want no potatoes, while today it is poor style, has never been ungrammatical; any native or non-native speaker of English would understand it at once, and offer his guest some boiled carrots instead.

Another of their fantastic ideas, invented from whole cloth, was the prohibition against ending sentences with prepositions. The reasoning went something like this. When English grammars were first being written, someone noticed that words like in and of usually came just before the words they referred to, and therefore invented the word "preposition," meaning "positioned in front," as a name for them. Then they reasoned, irrationally, that because they were called prepositions, they had always to be in front and couldn't end a sentence.

Morris Bishop wrote a little poem, The Naughty Preposition, that shows how silly this is:

The Naughty Preposition

I lately lost a preposition;
It hid, I thought, beneath my chair.
And angrily I cried, "Perdition!
Up from out of in under there."

Correctness is my vade mecum,
And straggling phrases I abhor;
And yet I wondered, "What should he come
Up from out of in under for?"

There's nothing wrong with Bishop's grammar, nor with that of a kid whose daddy brings the wrong book to read to him at bedtime, and who asks, "What did you bring that book I don't want to be read to out of up for?"

Languages are fun.

Radio
07-26-2014, 07:47 PM
I should have worded that better. The words exist, but are not present in the text.