PDA

View Full Version : Financial OUCH

wa8yxm
08-19-2014, 04:56 AM
25th of last month I packed up the motor home, hooked up the towed, started the old 8.1L vortec and it begged for oil.. Added some, took off,,,,, and about 100 miles later BOOM.. threw a rod.. Seems this thing went through 5 quarts (roughly) of oil in about 300 miles. (Usually 1 in 2,000 only if in the mountains).

Still do not know what happeend but looks like 10 grand to replace it....

That is the bad news

The good news is I got towed back to Cathead Creek Ranch RV park where the owner says I can stay for years if I have to.. and I have some other bills (No nearly that big) that either just shrank or which go POOF very very soon.

So, it's doable.. But for now I'm no longer "Mobile"

And if I got to park for an extended period.... Well, not many places are more to my liking than this one.

Only problem is I can only use my shorter long wire...

And then there is my TS-2000 (Kenwood) yesterday for some reason when I transmit I'm only getting about half (or less) power.. Meter shows ALC/AGC is peaking, Normally this happens if the antenna is out of resonance but the SWR meter is showing like 1.x to 1 (just a segment or two) I am thinking RF getting back into the mic, but will have to work on it later.

wa8yxm
08-19-2014, 02:16 PM
Well, I see I posted already the blown engine... As for the TS-2000. that turned out to be a six inch long wire.. yup.. When I put together the 50 foot long wire I had to move about six inches from one end to the other due to the way it attaches to the motor home. Splice broke... I went out and re-spliced, soldered well and heat shrunk, and all is good.

I wish both problems were that easy.

Radio
08-19-2014, 06:58 PM
Well, now you are officially "portable"... which per the rules is neither mobile nor fixed.

Bummer about the engine. Keep us posted on your progress, or lack thereof.

W7JZE
08-19-2014, 09:58 PM
Well, I just Googled up Cathead Creek Ranch RV Park and it looks like a delightful place to put down some " /P" roots for a while as you get everything sorted out.

Big bummer on the blown rod. OUCH, indeed!

I don't miss having a problem like that but I am jealous as heck that you'll be staying at a beautiful spot like that for an extended time :).

I hope it all works out for you...

wa8yxm
08-20-2014, 07:20 AM
Yes the park is nice.... Prices are reasonable (375 flat per month, Includes water, sewer, electric, WI-FI) and the Cowboy Church is both fun and friendly... I kind of like it.

My own choice of religion the church is only a few (4 or 5) Miles distant and I already have a place in the choir so I am welcomed there as well..

Only negative is there are not trees worth the name, thus no shade save what I make myself (I have the awning out, helps in the afternoon) and storms down here tend to be kind of nasty... Though last nights was the worst I have had since arriving (The rig was a rocking) Owner is a nice guy too.

The park's web page needs updating, the Petting zoo for example... Gone.. Horses are privately owned, not park property and thus you can look, but do not touch.

But I like it here.. Not a lot to do here in Darian/Townsend area, but Savannah is only an hour away by car. And my daughter 25 minutes.

NN5I
08-20-2014, 12:33 PM
By any chance, had you just had an oil change? If they left the plug loose, or (much more common) if they used the wrong oil filter, it wouldn't take long to pump five quarts out onto the ground. If you could show (by a receipt or by a windshield sticker) that you got an oil-and-filter change at x miles, and ran out of oil at x+200 miles, you'd have a strong case that the shop caused the problem and owed you an engine.

Happens more frequently than you'd imagine.

wa8yxm
08-21-2014, 07:55 AM
Oil was changed in November.. Just before I left for S.C. I drove 802 miles to get to Seneca from Davison, then spent the winter driving park to park every week or two and in all that time I sucked perhaps a cup of oil. So no, that was not the problem.. I wish it was, but it was not.

Radio
08-21-2014, 05:38 PM
I googled the RV park (and cowboy church) as well, seems you got dropped off in a really interesting place and the owner is the type of guy that would let you stay as long as you needed to.

I was wondering where the park was in relation to Little Ocmulgee State Park as we hope to make it down there in the spring... maybe.

Mr. Ham
08-21-2014, 09:12 PM
My background with General Motors tells me that you probably broke a ring or a piston or lost the rear main seal or the old Intake Manifold Gasket failure..

Either way, I feel your pain..

A new 8.1 GM motor will probably have the same issues as your old motor.

wa8yxm
08-22-2014, 07:42 AM
NO evidence of oil burning (Tail pipes not oily which they normally are if you are burning it, No smoke till the thing went BOOM and that was evaporation) Rear seal is a possibility.

So are some others.

KF5BET
08-23-2014, 09:58 AM
Sorry to hear of your engine troubles....

We just went through similar (but not quite) troubles with our F250. The oil cooler split and started dumping coolant into the engine oil. Dealer wanted close to 9k to fix it. Found an independent mechanic who worked on fleet trucks for a company a friend worked for and he did the job for almost half. I also bought aftermarket cooler that was a better design.

As it was, the truck wound up sitting for a couple of months while we scraped the money together. Don't much like the credit thing.

wa8yxm
08-24-2014, 05:33 AM
I googled the RV park (and cowboy church) as well, seems you got dropped off in a really interesting place and the owner is the type of guy that would let you stay as long as you needed to.

I was wondering where the park was in relation to Little Ocmulgee State Park as we hope to make it down there in the spring... maybe.

Well I will tell you the petting zoo is no more.. Animals got old and, well you know. He did not replace them due to liability issues and other issues.

As for where the park is.. Exit 49 on I-95 is the Darian Outlet Mall, we are 3 miles N.W. of there... Taking 251 North you come to a sharp right curve with another road continuing on straight, DO NOT TURN continue straight.. You will see a white rail (Vinyl board I think) fence as you switch roads.. End of the fence is the drive for the park.