PDA

View Full Version : Smart-phone flashlight app malware

Radio
10-22-2014, 07:42 PM
For those who were unaware...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q8xz8xKEFvU

I like those free dumb-fones they give you for having a contract. It rings, it talks, texts and makes lousy pictures. That's plenty.

For anything else there is the laptop.

And real flashlights have certain advantages. They don't run down your phone batteries, you can use them while on the phone, and the 4 or 5 D-cell kind make a fine defensive weapon.

N3LYT
10-23-2014, 08:12 AM
I bought a phone to replace the plain vanilla long in the tooth phone. I still have not figured out how to use the blasted thing. It has a touch screen (smart phone type of thing)I when I take it out of the holder it makes crazy noises and gives me screens I have never seen before then hangs up! It may become skeet to augment the clay ones.

NN5I
10-23-2014, 08:28 AM
I feel very fortunate that I have no urge (1) to talk on the phone when driving; (2) to talk on the phone while walking; (3) to talk on the phone when anywhere except in my own little rolling house; (4) to take pictures with anything other than a camera, and a really good camera at that; (5) to navigate with anything except a real GPS or with maps (or sectional charts); (6) to send text messages except from home, with a PC; or (7) to bellow into a phone while my companions try to eat dinner at the same table.

Does that make me a fuddy-duddy?

Radio
10-23-2014, 04:19 PM
Does that make me a fuddy-duddy?

You are a fuddy-duddy. However the causative does not appear on your list.

:poke:

N3LYT
10-23-2014, 06:08 PM
I just wish the damn thing acted like a phone it rings I answer I hang up. If I need to dial any one up (guess that gives away my age) I should be able to, if I try to talk to mine it never gets the person right and the only ones that can actually use them are people that could be my grand children! They are worthless cameras I do photography with a real camera and it doesn't ring or send me text message from some one I don't know. Pay phone have pretty much have gone away and no matter how hard I try I can't get my wife to get a ham ticket so I guess I'm stuck with the dang thing.

NN5I
10-23-2014, 10:07 PM
You are a fuddy-duddy. However the causative does not appear on your list.

:poke:

Guilty, your honor. Bailiff, put the cuffs on me. I'll go quietly.

W5DOK
10-24-2014, 07:27 AM
Earlier this week, I was dragged kicking and screaming into 2014. My old flip phone literally fell apart. Went to the Verizon store to get another one just like the old one and the young 20 something laughed and thought I was joking. I finally settled (after much anguish) on something called Galaxy S5. I can't even make a simple phone call on this gadget. My son has something similar to this abomination and has agreed to come over this weekend and tutor me to at least be able to make and receive calls. While I'm bitchin about phones I might as well put in my 2 centavos about new radios. My old IC-736 has worked flawlessly for many years. Recently I went a bit nuts and bought a new 7000. It is now back in the box under the desk and my trusty old 736 is back in operation. Ain't technology wonderful?
Doc

N3LYT
10-24-2014, 08:40 AM
Hey Doc take it back out of the box! I had a 736 great radio no doubt but the 7000 is it and then some. The manual is as big the the Sunday New York times but for a reason it does some amazing things! You'll love the filters and the DSP no need to add filters for CW etc they are all ready there and are adjustable. Cell phones are a semi necessary evil radios are fun!

W5DOK
10-24-2014, 09:17 AM
Got that big manual in the relaxation room and I read parts of it while relaxin.:D Meanwhile, the old 736 is back in service and doing what it has always done.
Doc

wa8yxm
10-24-2014, 01:35 PM
And real flashlights have certain advantages. They don't run down your phone batteries, you can use them while on the phone, and the 4 or 5 D-cell kind make a fine defensive weapon.

I do agree Dr. Mag can be do a good job of adjusting an assailant's attitude (From Vertical to horizontal)

However when you need light.. The daffynitation of a flashlight:

Flashlight: Container for dead batteries

Makes it more or less useless,, The battery on the phone however is usually charged. Plus where as the flashlight might be.. I do not know were (in fact I do not know where my 4 cell Mag-Light is) I do know where my phone is (Can see it as I type in fact)

But then on my phone the flashlight device (A LED light on the back side) was factory installed as was the "App" that controls it.

filmtex
10-31-2014, 08:17 AM

Radio
10-31-2014, 07:21 PM
I do agree Dr. Mag can be do a good job of adjusting an assailant's attitude (From Vertical to horizontal)

Plus where as the flashlight might be.. I do not know were (in fact I do not know where my 4 cell Mag-Light is)

I know where mine is!

Right after I bought the truck I got a 2 cell "D" Maglight and some mounting clips/brackets to go with it. The clips are sold right along side the flashlights at SOME Home Depots, Lowes, etc. I mounted the brackets to the heater box just above the tranny hump. Easy reach of the driver or passenger.

Having thought about the aforementioned use as a clobbering tool, :crutch: I swapped the 2x D cell for one of my 4x D cell that stays in the house.

I thought about a set of brackets for the 4x D cell that stays in the trailer. Right now it just lays on the floor beside the bed. Since it's a 5ver with no bed slide it seems to stay put pretty well in travel. Been there 6 years with no brackets so likely won't get any.