PDA

View Full Version : aluminum corrosion

ke0me
03-18-2015, 08:28 PM
I have an Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch which uses a block of aluminum as part of the hitch.

We have been around the gulf coast for several week and I am noticing some corrosion on the aluminum.

1- what can I use to clean the aluminum
2-what can I use to seal the aluminum to stop further corrosion.

I have emailed the factory, but wanted to see what experiences you all have had.

Thanks.

NN5I
03-19-2015, 09:48 AM
From experience with aircraft (my own and others):

(1) Most important, do not use steel wool or wire brush. These will usually leave tiny steel particles embedded in the aluminum, and electrolytic corrosion will then occur at high speed. Aluminum wire brushes are good for removing really severe crusts of corrosion, but they wear out quickly and are hard to find, so aren't popular.

(2) One excellent product is Nevr-Dull, available in many auto parts shops, sporting-goods stores, hardware stores, probably Lowe's and Home Depot etc. This is the first choice for keeping aluminum airplane propellers, fuselages, and wings clean and shiny, and it seems to leave a protective coating of some kind too.

(3) If, after cleaning, you want to paint it for additional protection, first wash it with ordinary dishwashing detergent; then treat the surface with Aluma-Prep, available at auto-paint stores like English Color, and possibly at auto-parts stores; then prime it with, for example, Dupli-Color primer, and paint with the same brand of touch-up paint. I'd make it match the vehicle while I was at it. Dupli-Color paints are a really high-quality product sold at almost every auto-parts store. They are available (in spray cans) to match the color of nearly every vehicle ever sold, except motor homes.

Radio
03-19-2015, 06:58 PM
At my employer, Delta Air Lines, we have various "grit" of what amounts to 3M Scotch-Brite pads that attach to a right angle grinder and they make short order of corrosion on most any aluminum surface. They will remove a surprising amount of metal, too.

Then follow with primers and paints made specially for aluminum.

When Ford came out with the aluminum bodied F150 they had to teach all the dealer body people how to use the different aluminum specific paint materials.

ke0me
03-20-2015, 07:27 AM
thanks guys, i'll give these a try and let u know.