PDA

View Full Version : New Folks

hkagan
05-30-2015, 08:23 AM
Hi - Recently retired - heading out West for a long summer ride shortly. I'm Harris - folks call me Hesh -N1MDX My wife is Gail - N1XBW. We've a '03 Safari Trek 26ft Class A with a Jeep toad. I'm planning on taking my IC-706 with a dipole as I've not figured out a good way to mount an antenna on the Trek (no roof ladder). I'll likely set up a dual band fm with a glass mount as well. Any thoughts are most welcome. I'm active on CW / 20m and PSK 20/m. other hobbies are duplicate bridge, a little golf and my '73 R75/5 BMW m/c. Nice to meet you all.

Hesh N1MDX

NN5I
05-30-2015, 09:50 AM
Welcome, Hesh. First, I'd install a roof ladder. Indispensable!

N3LYT
05-30-2015, 06:39 PM
I'm guessing from the call your from Maine. I use all kinds of antennas on my camper including a screw drive one I picked up at Nearfest last fall and rebuilt. I use fiberglass poles and have half wave rotatable dipoles for 10,12,15 and 17 meters the screw drive gets me the rest to 80 meters. Welcome to the fun.

Radio
05-30-2015, 06:51 PM
Welcome aboard!

We actually like new people here. Jump in a join the fun. Nice bunch of folks with lots of answers, some of which are correct! :radio:

ke0me
05-31-2015, 08:38 PM
Welcome to the group!

Lots of experience here on just about any topic.

wa8yxm
06-01-2015, 01:17 PM
I DO NOT LIKE GLASS MOUNTS.

Though they are ok for UHF,,Marginal at VHF,No good for HF

For HF..Consider (Let's see you have 28 feet You might squeeze a 10-15-20 fan dipole in that with a bit of work 10 on top 20 on bottom in an invrted V or 20 on top in a "V")

Two telescoping flag poles (Fiberglass if they do not bend too much)

One park on base under the front tire
One hitch mount,well you know where that goes.

Optional center support pole (Depending on if there is an attachment point handy) you can use Aluminum tubing here from any of the Ham Suppliers Say a bit longer than the Flag poles.

But the tubing needs a ground spike (Tent spike through a PVC pipe cap just small enoughto fit inside the bottom tube)

and some kind of "Eve" support.. If you have a well positioned slide out you can use it with a bit of assistance from me (let me know)or an awning support arm can be used as well.

Very close to what I use.