PDA

View Full Version : A Pitcher of Water

Radio
06-09-2015, 07:01 PM
With our love of vocabulary on this forum I had to put this up...

ke0me
06-09-2015, 09:52 PM
does he throw a submarine pitch?

NN5I
06-09-2015, 11:20 PM
And it took me several seconds to notice. Mrs. Malaprop lives.

W7JZE
06-10-2015, 01:53 AM
His nickname? Froggy! :jitter:

Radio
06-10-2015, 03:45 AM
does he throw a submarine pitch?

I dunno, but it brings a whole new meaning to "sinker" :whistle:

NN5I
06-10-2015, 05:20 AM
And then the paper published an apology that included this sentence:

That’s realizing you’ve made a mistake, large or small, and it is now being distributed to thousands of readers and all you can do is lay there sweating in your bed.

The apology is as illiterate as the original headline was. These people write for a living?

wa8yxm
06-10-2015, 09:10 AM
Randy sent that one to me.. I liked it.. Pitcher works on both land and Sea I guess.

in the Facebook discussion (Randy by the way Is Randy Cassingham of This Is True dot Com) I mentioned that where as newspapers used to employ PROOF readers in a cost cutting measure they layed them off.. So not they have POOF readers.. They all went POOF.

wa8yxm
06-10-2015, 09:12 AM
Also a true story.. When I was still a student in Cornflake U (Kellogg Community College) my English teacher was always ragging on the local fish wrapper. The Battle Creek Esquire and News.

Or as Some call it the Nose and misprint.

So some student left two things on her desk before class

1: A weekday copy of the Nose and Misprint.
2: A brand new RED Bic ballpoint pen

She ran out of Ink before she ran out of paper. This was roughly 1970 and it has gotten worse since.

ke0me
06-10-2015, 08:14 PM
Being an engineer, most people consider us to be semi-literate.

Once I was in a job where I wrote practices and procedures. I had both a dictionary and a thesaurus on my desk, and used them.

To reference the time frame, let's call it IBM XT era, way before sophisticated grammar and spelling checkers.

I really improved my writing skills in the 2.5 years I was in that job.

Wrong word usage like the article referenced are way too common, and texting on phones has not helped any.

Radio
06-11-2015, 07:54 PM
Wrong word usage like the article referenced are way too common, and texting on phones has not helped any.

I have a love hate relationship with the text tool/keyboard thingy on a Kindle. It is intelligent and it will learn words you like to use, but it can be a little buggy as it tries to guess what you are going to say next.

I don't know much about the newspaper industry, but I do know the editor writes the headline for an article, depending on the amount of space, importance, etc. The egg on the authors face came from some other guys chicken.