PDA

View Full Version : Putting, and keeping, a lid on it.

Radio
07-27-2015, 08:48 PM
We keep our crock-pot lit from breaking and "wandering off on its own" with a piece of nylon cord and a kitchen towel.

Your crock pot needs the right sort of handles, though.

NN5I
07-28-2015, 06:10 AM
Good idea. I have used a short bungee cord basically the same way.

electricflyer
07-28-2015, 02:54 PM
My crock pot has retainers that snap over the lid, no need for a bungee and the lid has a soft rubber seal around it so nothing slops out in travel. I'll have get a picture of it.

electricflyer
07-28-2015, 03:04 PM
OK, here it is. Oops didn't let the last one focus before I shot, anyway it is a Hamilton Beach crock pot.

Radio
07-28-2015, 04:39 PM
Good idea. I have used a short bungee cord basically the same way.

I was going to go with a bungee until I realized I could pass the string through the handles. With "solid" handles a bungee would be the way to go.

I was going to custom cut a bungee for the purpose until I got a look at the handles.

Radio
07-28-2015, 04:41 PM
My crock pot has retainers that snap over the lid, no need for a bungee and the lid has a soft rubber seal around it so nothing slops out in travel. I'll have get a picture of it.

Now THAT's cool. It's made to transport with food in it. That will make you popular at the pot luck dinner!

NN5I
07-28-2015, 05:41 PM
I was going to go with a bungee until I realized I could pass the string through the handles. With "solid" handles a bungee would be the way to go.

I was going to custom cut a bungee for the purpose until I got a look at the handles.

A bungee could hook on the handles, I think. But it seems to me your way is just as good.

I have an old (1950s) sheet-metal pie carrier with a spring retainer for the lid. It can carry three pies on individual shelves inside, and prevents disaster in a vehicle. I bought it on eBay after one time I hit the brake in a pickup with a pumpkin pie on the passenger seat. It only took once.

electricflyer
07-28-2015, 09:12 PM
We used to have the baked beans slop out on the floor of the car but not anymore. I use it to take the Sloppy Joe (Maidrite in the Mid-West) for selling at our little hamfest every September. Yeah, those panic stops can be messy.