PDA

View Full Version : Fogged and yellowed headlights

Radio
10-11-2015, 07:09 PM
Radio's been shopping again...

And found a solution for fogged and yellowed headlight covers that actually works and only costs $8.00.

3M Headlight Renewal. It seems to be a polishing or buffing compound for the plastic material headlight covers are made off. Looks just like certain kinds of metal polish. In addition to the compound you will need an old towel. Squeeze about a half dollar size spot onto the towel and apply it all over the headlight cover. Then get the clean end of the towel and buff like crazy for a few minutes.

Done. Just about like waxing any other part of the vehicle. Will not hurt paint.

Other headlight solutions cost $40 and you need a drill to spin the buffing wheel that comes with it. Nope. All you need is $8 and an old towel. One bottle will do a bunch of cars. Also found it will brighten up any other plastic lens and some of the emblems and badges on the vehicle.

Got mine at Autozone.

NN5I
10-11-2015, 09:09 PM
Tooth paste works at least as well, and doesn't require a trip to Auto Zone. Use it the same way.

Radio
10-11-2015, 09:13 PM
I have heard that, and also Deep Woods Off insect repellent.

This stuff reminds me of a mix of car wax, buffing compound and metal polish. And since I was in the Autozone for something else anyway...

electricflyer
10-11-2015, 09:59 PM
The tooth paste has pumice in it to make your teeth shine and wear the enamel off at the same time. There is a very large deposit of pumice south of Iowa City, IA and Colgate has a tooth paste plant there. Rubbing compound will work but should probably be used wetted. I'll bet semi-chrome polish would work great but kind of pricy, a little tube of it is $10. I use it to clean DW's jewelry and just a little tiny dab will make it shine. Tool and die people use it to polish die's after a repair. I don't wear rings or jewelry, only a watch. Growing up on a farm you will soon learn what happens when you jump off of a wagon and your ring hooks on a bolt. I've seen many farmers with missing digits from rings and "v" belts.

NN5I
10-12-2015, 07:07 AM
I have heard that, and also Deep Woods Off insect repellent.

Deep Woods Off will seem to work, as will anything else with DEET in it. But DEET will permanently soften the plastic and should be avoided for that reason. Don't get DEET on your eyeglasses, watch, or smartphone either.

And, most especially, don't get DEET on your car's paint job! Here's why. (https://www.yahoo.com/autos/how-something-you-spray-on-your-kids-can-melt-your-128334848277.html)

NN5I
10-12-2015, 07:14 AM
Growing up on a farm you will soon learn what happens when you jump off of a wagon

I had a friend who jumped off the wagon, got in a bar fight and lost some teeth, had a car wreck, got arrested for DWI, ended up in jail, and now can't get car insurance.

Also his headlights were fogged and yellowed for a while, until his shiners went away.

Stay on the wagon, Flyer.

Radio
10-31-2015, 07:52 AM
Well, I figured out it's not the weather or UV light that yellows them.

It's the installation of the no-payment option. The Bank notifies the Title Fairy who then flies out to your car at night and then yellows your headlights. If the car is British she will install an oil leak, or if Chrysler she will pull down the headliner as well.

Same Fairy Union as the Tooth Fairy.

We should encourage publicity for the Title Fairy, so that paid for cars with their yellowed headlights become a status symbol.