PDA

View Full Version : Tired of "get windows 10"

Radio
03-23-2016, 06:31 PM
We have one laptop that CAME with Windows 10. We surely do NOT want another. Found an application called GWX Control Panel that can disable the GWX (get windows 10, get it?) or even remove it and monitor Microsoft's activity to re-install or modify your system to ask for Win10 upgrade.

We'll see how this works. Google it if you like

:wall:

I am so tired of MS shoving WinX down my throat.

NN5I
03-23-2016, 09:24 PM
The PC I'm on right now has Win 7 Ultimate. I never get bugged that way; don't know why. I don't recall having done anything to avoid the Win10 prompts. Maybe it's because I never turn on automatic updates on any PC I own?

electricflyer
03-23-2016, 09:31 PM
I get that message every day, "Get Windows 10 Free". I'm in no hurry to get it. Had a friend install it and lost all his photo's. I don't think it is ready for "prime time" for me.

ke0me
03-23-2016, 10:30 PM
I upgraded a windows tablet I have to 10.
Works OK so far, but I had to recreate and rearrange all my program icons.

Plus, 10 loads a ton of what I call JUNK programs, photo stuff, tweets and twitters , caledars, planners, sorters, weather programs and misc stuff.

I f I wanted that, I would add it, I only have 32 GB of RAM, so I end up deleting all the playground junk i'll never use.
Many of those programs are second rate, I would load the best of the bunch available, not the stuff MS puts out.

This is similar to the stuff apple (small a intentional) loads on the iphones, I either delete, or group together where I don't see them.

Guess I just want to decide what I want and not clutter up what memory I have with stuff I dont want.

Now if we could just get rid of the pop-up ads...........

wa8yxm
03-24-2016, 07:46 AM
Just let the GW-10 Icon sit in the tray, ignore it.. I did on one computer because though ti yammered about getting it it could not download it.. Till finally the computer was physically broken (Not because of that) and had to be replaced.. The brand new out of the box unit was able to upgrade.. Since they were 8.1 machines.. 10 really is an upgrade.

NN5I
03-24-2016, 09:05 AM
... I just want to decide what I want and not clutter up what memory I have with stuff I don't want.

Now if we could just get rid of the pop-up ads...........

Same here. It's the pop-up ads that really bug me.

Oh, wait, you're talking about your computer, not your mind ...

N3LYT
03-24-2016, 12:52 PM
Find the windows up date #KB3035583 then delete it. Win 10 is beyond a doubt the most invasive program ever developed I played with it for 2 days and trashed it.

ke0me
03-25-2016, 09:05 AM
According to my 17 year old grandson, there is a great alternative to ALL Microsoft products, and its free.

He is a bit of a computer geek, going to study computer programming in college.

The alternative is Ubuntu operating system, which is an open source program ( Linux based I think). I'm sure a few of you have heard of or used it before.

It comes with MS Office equivalents of Word, Excel, Etc. I'm using it with Mozilla Thunderbird for email and Mozilla Firefox for internet browsing.

The screen layouts are a bit different, but easily learned. I am considering just dumping windows as soon as they quit supporting Win 7 which I have now.

I cant say that it will run every windows program out there, but for basic computer operations, its just fine.

Anyone used it before? I would be interested to hear your experiences.

PS- with the right emulator program, he made my Win98 naval battle program run again, so the Bismark can continue to be destroyed by the US Battleships I send against it (my one gaming vice).

N3LYT
03-25-2016, 10:04 AM
Yes Linux stuff does work fine it is a bit of a learning curve if you are used to windows it's used in many things including Linksys system devices (wireless etc.)

wa8yxm
03-25-2016, 10:54 AM
The problems with linux systems are these

1: Some programs you may wish to run do not care for Linux.. They require win-sleeper (Doze)

2: I have a fairly steep learning curve and I never did get Linux to share files or print.

ke0me
03-25-2016, 11:34 PM
My personal programmer (grandson) has set the laptop up for dual boot, just select windows or ubuntu at power up, so I play around with both, although I still use windows 95% of the time, just haven't tried out ubuntu in depth.

wa8yxm
03-26-2016, 07:53 AM
I upgraded a windows tablet I have to 10.
Works OK so far, but I had to recreate and rearrange all my program icons.

Plus, 10 loads a ton of what I call JUNK programs, photo stuff, tweets and twitters , caledars, planners, sorters, weather programs and misc stuff.

Yes it does but most of that crap hit the bit bucket on my machines fast as I could "Uninstall Program"

That is one advantages of Windows over Android.. On my 'droids several of the crapware programs will not uninstall. no matter what I do. Even rooted.