PDA

View Full Version : The MFJ Syndrone

Richard Stouffer
01-21-2008, 06:39 AM
I was reading a post on the Flex-Radio reflector this morning where someone made a reference to something they had bought from MFJ and it reminded me that I had two items on back-order at MFJ. It also dawned on me that it seems like I always have something on back-order from MFJ. It made me wonder if MFJ has ever shipped anything the same day, or are they just saving the inventory so they can sell it a Dayton? ;-)

wa8yxm
01-21-2008, 07:41 AM
I recall when MFJ was a local company. I suspect they are a bit more popular than they thought they would be and thus there is a "Flow" issue, however that said, they are flowing and growing. The Fact that HRO bundled an MFJ catalog with their annual mailing last fall I am sure added to the back log

Richard Stouffer
01-21-2008, 09:26 AM
In spite of my frustration with the waits, I always search for what I need there first. They do seem, however, to be about 30 years behind on their communications, especially their phone system.

Radio
01-21-2008, 10:55 AM
I think Christmas wiped them out. I wanted a shortwave receiver kit for my nephew and they are backordered until mid-January. So I found one on e-Bay.

And the modern business model is to keep inventories to a minimum, and I suspect that has a bit to do with it.

The handiest things I have ever got from them are a voice contest keyer, several different kinds of clocks, a remote antenna switch, a power supply and some cheap but functional mag-mount VHF/UHF antennas. That's a lot of stuff, come to think of it.

This is the first time I couldn't get what I wanted, but then i usually buy in person at hamfests. Cheaper that way.

Radio

Richard Stouffer
01-21-2008, 03:21 PM
I guess I'm just not very lucky. But then again, it makes going to hamfest a lot more fun, unless it's already on order at MFJ.

jagco
01-21-2008, 06:38 PM
It made me wonder if MFJ has ever shipped anything the same day

I was putting together an MFJ 1798 multiband vertical and realized it was missing a part. I called the customer service number, they referred me to the shop number, and the part shipped out the next day. That made me very happy with them. I realize the part shouldn't have been missing in the first place, but the customer service, after the fact, was great.

w6pea
01-29-2008, 07:33 AM
About a month or so ago, ight be longer now.....Maybe as far back as Septmember :think:
I sent an e-mail to MFJ and requested a new catalog. (I know it's online), and as of yesterday I never recieved one. And speaking of HRO and the fact they bundled an MFJ catalog with their own, I never got that also. Hmmmm?

Wonder if "She who must be Obeyed!" filed them in the recycling bin:think:

N7OQ
01-29-2008, 07:45 PM
I have had a love hate relationship with MFJ, they are slow and I'm not a waitful person. Even though waitful is not a real word it describes me very well. I have gotten better, I use to mail order something and it drove me crazy until I got it, now I can wait, but I still want to know when it ships and I track it until I get it in my hands. I will spend a little more to buy something from a company I know will ship it fast. I use to ship 2nd day but I now will use the cheaper or free ground.

I was going to order and new vertical called BigIR from Steppir until I found out they had a 4 month lead time so I'm now looking for something else. I did buy a MFJ-269 antenna analyzer after I had bought a MFJ-259 a few years back and it came missing several case screws. I called them and they said they would send them to me, well I never got them.

w6pea
01-29-2008, 11:47 PM
You think MFJ is bad :think:

Try liberty Medical supply:mad: