PDA

View Full Version : Bed Cover vs 5th Wheel Hitch

Radio
01-01-2017, 01:35 PM
My current folding bed cover has just reached the end of it's useful life. If the rain lets up it goes to the dump tomorrow.

Open to suggestion as to what to replace it with.

1. Taking up minimal space when open is important.
2. Low cost and DIY install is important.
3. It would be nice to be able to lock the cover partway back to cover items in the front of the bed while towing.
4. Some degree of rain protection when closed would be nice.
5. And it should lock.

What are you running with and how happy are you with it?
About how much did it cost?

ke0me
01-01-2017, 06:11 PM
I use a Truxcedo cover, lifetime warranty, rugged, takes minimal space when rolled up, not lockable.

I just put everything that I carried in the bed in snap lid plastic tubs and left them in the bed.

The folding cover I had on a previous truck was lockable, but took up 1/3 of the bedevil when folded up.

N3LYT
01-02-2017, 10:05 AM
I have seen the results of a 5th wheel vers. tail gate a few times.

NN5I
01-03-2017, 08:09 AM
I would imagine it's more comfortable to sleep under a bed cover than under a 5th-wheel hitch. You're not as greasy in the morning, either.

ke0me
01-03-2017, 09:33 AM
I have been threatened that I was in danger of being exiled to the truck bed a few times, but I was always able to convince my wife not to carry out the exile order.

Also, (warning-commercial) the Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch doesn't use grease and is easily removable if you do in fact have to sleep in the truck bed.

kindermom
04-12-2017, 05:57 AM
Hi, could we use the coverlet for this purpose? I am here in Australia and didn't find the exact size!

Radio
04-12-2017, 06:37 PM
Hello, mate! You'd be our first AUSSIE on ORR.net, I'm pretty sure!

:welcome:

I think here we call them tonneau (pronounced TONN-ee) or just bed covers. I guess a coverlet would be the same thing. I just wanted to keep my things dry and out of sight without having to remove the 5th wheel hitch. And be able to tow without leaving the cover at home.

Perhaps you need to seek a US based supplier? What are you using for a tow vehicle?

Radio
04-12-2017, 06:50 PM
I never got back with my solution.

I got a Bestop folding tonneau from Summit Racing. About $349. No shipping as they are local.

Pretty sure the hitch will not be impeded by the cover, but if it is it comes off and goes back on in just a minute. It's not as secure as the folding metal cover I had, but it's quieter, lighter, and keeps out almost ALL the rain. And yes you can ride down the road with it open like that.

So the first chance I get to tow will tell the story.

NN5I
04-12-2017, 07:36 PM
I think here we call them tonneau (pronounced TONN-ee)

Gee, I knew those Georgia folks talked funny, but "TONN-ee"?

Far out.