PDA

View Full Version : N5CCQ Bill checking in

wohtex
01-26-2008, 09:54 PM
:hello: Hello to the group. Name is Bill, QTH is S.E. Medina County Texas, Been a ham since late 70's but mostly inactive untill a couple years ago. Now kids are grown and out, and I retired this past summer so hope to devote more time to ham radio and Rv'ing. I have a 26Ft Holiday Rambler that I hope gets more use than previous RV's I've owned. Will carry my SG-2020 at first because its easy on the battery, then maybe the Yaesu FT-77 when I know I'll be plugged in. The rest of the 100 watters have tubes and they take up more room, although I would love to operate the Kenwood TS-830 from a nice quite remote location. I also am interested in 2 meter ssb. Still have to come up with a antenna for the TT. OK enough about me I'm still trying to figure out how to set up a profile on the board.

take care and 73
Bill, N5CCQ

Andy N1ORK
01-27-2008, 03:15 AM
This is a great group with a nice bunch of members. Again, welcome to the group and I hope you get your profile set up soon. Don't forget to upload some photos or info on your RV/TT setup.:welcome:
Andy - N1ORK

jagco
01-27-2008, 05:12 PM
Welcome to the board. Like Andy said, this is a great group with a nice bunch of members.

Radio
01-27-2008, 06:11 PM
:hello:

Welcome aboard, Bill. Jump in the frey and contribute!

Radio

_L7
01-31-2008, 03:07 AM
Bill,

Welcome aboard the ORR net. :hello::welcome:

Now get out there and use that RV and take the HF radio with you and have fun!:eek::D

Now that you are retired it should be alot easier to get away for a weekend, a week, a month or longer. Enjoy your retirement!

Ed
n6lzr

KE5NWT
01-31-2008, 07:40 AM
Hey Bill,
We are practically neighbors. I'm in Uvalde County up in the NW corner between Montell & Camp Wood. I also use a FT-77 at home. I thought I was the only one on the planet using that radio. Nobody seems to know what they are. I've talked all over the states and the world barefoot with it using a 90 foot long SGC SG-103 folded wire dipole at 40 feet. Nobody ever heard of that antenna either, but SGC still carries it on their websight. No tuner required & it works the bands from 10m to 80m. As you know the FT-77 doesn't have 160m or 60m so the antenna is a good match for the rig.

We still work full time so our fifth wheel doesn't get used as much as I would like.

KE5NWT
01-31-2008, 07:44 AM
Bill,
If you dont already know about them, there is a great ham club in Medina County. Their web sight is http://www.mcarc.org/
I took all my tests with them and they work with us at the Uvalde County Emergency Management getting people trained in amateur radio.

Ret8008
01-31-2008, 08:43 AM
Welcome Bill. Good to have you here.

N7OQ
01-31-2008, 09:07 PM
Welcome to the group Bill. great name there:) I enjoy doing 2 meter SSB it is amazing how far you can make contacts on 2 SSB while camping I have made 250+ mile contacts. Fun to do meteor scatter and sometimes when conditions are right you can get some ducting. I here sporadic E is possible too, but I have never witnessed it.

aintgotnun
02-01-2008, 09:45 AM
Welcome!

wohtex
02-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Hi Robert, guess there is still a select few that use the old Ft-77, I really enjoy the audio on it and it seems to receive as well as my TS-830. However the SG2020 with the DSP engaged will hear things I can't hear at all on the Yaesu or Kenwood. I will have to check out that antenna you mentioned it sounds interesting. Will give you a shout the next time were up around Garner State Park.

Bill N5CCQ

wohtex
02-05-2008, 08:18 PM
:D Thanks to all for the warm welcome, I will contribute to the board when the opportunity arises. Will try and get the profile fille in and pic's of the TT posted. Hopefully will be taking some trips soon and can post info on them.

73 all
Bill, N5CCQ