PDA

View Full Version : Subscription Folder

electricflyer
05-03-2017, 06:35 PM
Radio, check this out. I go to "User CP" to look at subscriptions and the folder say "empty". What gives? I have never deleted a subscription so there should be a long list.

NN5I
05-03-2017, 07:19 PM
Didn't ORR move to a new server in February? That would probably do it.

electricflyer
05-03-2017, 07:38 PM
Carl, like you I've had a number of posts on the forum but not a hint in the folder.

NN5I
05-03-2017, 07:52 PM
Yeah, well. I've never looked there. What's it for, anyway?

electricflyer
05-03-2017, 08:46 PM
I like to check past subscriptions to see if anything was added that I may have missed or look up previous posts for old discussions that may be of current interest.

kd2iat
05-04-2017, 06:41 AM
Yeah, well. I've never looked there. What's it for, anyway?
In the blue bar just above the first post on any thread page is a "Thread Tools" drop down. If you select "Subscribe to this Thread", you'll receive a notice every time someone posts to that thread. You have to set up your notifications in the User CP for this to work, but it's handy for any number of reasons.

NN5I
05-04-2017, 07:35 AM
Ah so. Thanks.

Not useful for me, I think. I check in nearly every day as a part of my daily routine, and the site tells me what threads have been posted to by bolding them in the list on the right-hand side. If I didn't do that, I can see that subscriptions would indeed be useful. But how would I know about new threds?

kd2iat
05-04-2017, 11:17 AM
Ah so. Thanks.

Not useful for me, I think. I check in nearly every day as a part of my daily routine, and the site tells me what threads have been posted to by bolding them in the list on the right-hand side. If I didn't do that, I can see that subscriptions would indeed be useful. But how would I know about new threds?
The Recent Threads box pretty much negates the value of the subscription notifications. A lot of forums don't use or display that box so the subscription notifications can still be very useful.

I don't see any way to get a summary of new threads in the notifications CP so I guess checking in often is still essential to keep current with the forum.

NN5I
05-04-2017, 12:42 PM
I guess checking in often is still essential to keep current with the forum.

And it's fun, too.

electricflyer
05-04-2017, 04:33 PM
Apparently when the format was changes some of the options were reset. I went to the user CP and changed the option for notifications so will see if that made a difference.

Radio
05-04-2017, 05:50 PM
I'll watch this thread to see if Janet or the Tech peeps need to get involved. If you're still unhappy with it let me know in a few days.

Not only did we move from the original server (the one I paid rent on) to a SK server, there was a software upgrade and then a move to an even bigger SK server.

It is a forum about travel, right?

electricflyer
05-04-2017, 06:34 PM
All's good now, subscriptions are being saved. The change may have reset the settings.