PDA

View Full Version : ARRL Solar eclipse event

Radio
07-20-2017, 03:33 PM
I kind of wish they'd put this article out 60 days ago. We old geezers who still hold down full time jobs need a little more time to plan ahead.

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/QST/This%20Month%20in%20QST/August2017/Silver.pdf

Those of you not planning to travel to the totality might be interested in the QSO party/contest activity.

electricflyer
07-20-2017, 07:17 PM
The ARRL newsletter I got today had an article about the eclipse. It was noted various area clubs having special events with operating times varying with the locations. For us here in GA the Gaston NC club will be operating from 0000 to 1900 UTC on or about 7.180 and 3.895 on the 21st. Anyone interested may want to check the newsletter for operators in your area. I will make a list of times and frequencies for possible contacts on the 21st that were shown.
Marv
KT4W

Radio
07-22-2017, 05:36 PM
I'm bringing some radio gear, the TS-570 and some antennas. Don't know if I'll touch any of it. Might, or might not. My daughter will be along with us part of the time so I'll likely be spending time with her. We've had the camper since 2008 and this is her first time out with us.

With heat indexes as high as 104 F -- I might set up the rig just to have something to do indoors with the air conditioner running! Glad I've got a shady site!

NN5I
07-22-2017, 11:24 PM
Glad I've got a shady site!

Let me be sure I've got this straight.

You're planning to observe the Sun from a shady site.

How's that again?

N3LYT
07-23-2017, 07:41 AM

How's that again?

Doesn't matter it will be dark any way!

Radio
07-23-2017, 06:57 PM

How's that again?

I'm going to see the eclipse. Not the sun. There's nothing special about seeing the sun. The thing here is NOT seeing the sun.

In theory - if I stay in the shade until the eclipse occurs, then come out and see the eclipse, then return to the shade, I could do the whole thing without ever actually seeing the sun.

:jitter:

Right?

NN5I
07-23-2017, 07:25 PM
Right?

Uh, Wade, you've been working a little too hard lately, and, well, uh, perhaps you need a little rest, away from all those chickens ...