PDA

View Full Version : A DIY cheapo HDTV antenna

Radio
02-02-2008, 07:32 PM
This guy has a "how to" video on making an HDTV antenna from a bunch of wire coathangers and a stick of wood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw

I think the only thing I would do different in check the junk box for some #10 or #12 solid wire (to avoid all that scraping) and use 2 washers to "sandwich" the wires at the connection points.

Pretty neat project.

:money:

Radio

TXiceman
02-02-2008, 08:38 PM
The HDTV antenna is no different than your standard VHF TV antenna. The broadcast signal in on the same old VHF frequencies. All that is changed is the signal will be digital rather than analog.

Also, the change that takes place in 2009 is to change all TV broadcast to digital mode. Some stations will broadcast an HD signal which will use a large portion of their broadcast spectrum. They may also broad cast a regular digital (non-HD) in the same spectrum, ie. you will see channels as 13.0, 13.1 and 13.2. Each station is alloted a given spectrum (or frequency band). Digital does not require and much bandwidth as does analog, so they can crowd the stations closer together.

Ken

Radio
02-03-2008, 05:59 AM
I bet this stick'n'wood yagi has a whole lot more RX gain than that goofy little loop thing that's on top of my TV now. What I like is the way the guy just throws it in the corner behind the tv and it seems to work OK anyway.

N7OQ
02-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Very interesting video, I would like to put it on my antenna analyzer and see how it comes out. Might be fun to Model it too.