PDA

View Full Version : Communicating with rear of Motorhome

W3LBS
02-03-2008, 10:33 PM
I have used this system on the last 2 motorhomes we have owned. I thought it was a good idea and I am going to share it with you all.
All modern back-up camera systems are equiped with one way audio to the cockpit of the motorhome allowing one way communications. When I purchased a CB for the motorhome it had to have a PA (public address) function on the radio. I ran a speaker wire from the pa port on the rear of the radio to the rear of the motorhome and installed an external feed horn type speaker near the trailer hitch and now I can talk to the person who is guiding me into a space or whatever. I find it very useful!! :think:

AE5BI
02-04-2008, 07:35 AM
I talked my copilot into getting her ham license. :)

w6pea
02-04-2008, 08:32 AM
My xyl has her callsign, we use our ICt7-H ht's. On simplex.:think:

W3LBS
02-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Guess I should have put this on a none ham site!

Andy N1ORK
02-05-2008, 06:20 AM
For those that don't need to share their Ham equipment with our wives, there's always those inexpensive FRS radios that are good for things like backing up. Coupled with a backup camera, or even without, that should suffice.

radiow6lar
02-05-2008, 09:09 AM
Guess I should have put this on a none ham site!

I think its a good idea. Sometimes its easier than breaking out the handhelds. My XYL is a ham too but I have to "encourage" her to use a radio. You had a need and used what you had to good advantage. :cool2:

w6pea
02-06-2008, 08:36 AM
My xyl has her callsign, we use our ICt7-H ht's. On simplex.:think:

I really should have said that I usually try to pull through. :rolleyes:

wa8yxm
02-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Well,,, I thank the OP for posting it, I think it is a good idea, but my back up camera has no mic so we would be stuck on one-way

I do have an GMRS license though, and a pair of FRS/GMRS radios (Actually 4 or 5) and CB's including one hand held and in many parks our cells work... Mine hands free (Very useful) so we have person-person-comm links

K3RRR
02-06-2008, 07:00 PM
I think it is a good idea considering that when you back up it is not always your wife(husband) back there. I doubt you would expect to see hams the only people willing to assist you back up.

And the FRS radio is a good idea, but you have to plan to have someone back there - with the two-way speakers it could be anyone - and change without having to worry about it.

It is also helpful for others in the immediate area to know what you are doing so they can watch out for you - well, for themselves...

NN5I
04-22-2012, 05:16 PM
It's not illegal to allow a non-ham to talk to you with your handheld. You as control operator have to be able to make'em stop transmitting within a minute or two, which you can do by stopping, getting out, and grabbing the radio. If absolutely necessary you can stop them by backing up very suddenly.

One Country Boy
04-23-2012, 09:15 AM
We use a good set of FRS radios.... Works out well and has saved me from backing into something a few times.