PDA

View Full Version : Pretty good Christmas...

Radio
12-25-2018, 05:24 PM
Well Christmas turned out pretty well at our house. All the kids were home and go to see a lot of other family as well. Had a very sweet time at various church goings on.

And under the tree..; I got to put a bunch of stuff that made a lot of folks happy. And I got a couple of neat surprises myself.

First there is this framed copy of the July, 2001 issue of QST, featuring a sidebar article that included me, a few fellow amateurs and the then newly refurbished WX4PTC station at the National Weather Service in Peachtree City, GA.

My 15 minutes of fame enshrined forever in museum grade glass. :jitter:

The other pleasant surprise was a brand new truck and fifth wheel camper. I'm not so much impressed with the rig, but I got to find out where this fishing hole is. Look at the size of that fish! He's gonna need a bigger pan. And that lobster/crab/crawdad is HUGE! If that thing gets a claw on him he's gonna lose an arm!

I'm hoping all of ya'll had a very good Christmas as well, and did not overlook the reason of the season.

Radio
12-25-2018, 05:32 PM
And pie irons! Sweet Wife finally got us some pie irons! :bounce:

N9JKP
12-27-2018, 06:57 PM
Sounds like a wonderful Christmas.

NN5I
12-29-2018, 07:08 PM
Pie irons? What's that? I make super-good pies, but I dunno what a pie iron is.

Radio
12-31-2018, 08:03 PM
Sometimes a pie gets wrinkled and a pie iron makes it nice and flat. :jiggle:

NN5I
01-02-2019, 05:29 PM
OK, I Googled it and, yes, there really is such a thing as a pie iron. But what's it for? Making grilled cheese sandwiches over a campfire, maybe? And any guess how it got the name pie iron? Maybe you have to be pie-eyed while using it?

Radio
01-06-2019, 07:58 PM
Imagine a tiny little dutch oven on a stick. You put food in there and hold it over a fire to cook. Most people make hot sandwiches, like reubens or grilled cheese, but you could make little pastries in there as well, hence the name pie iron.

Haven't got a chance to play with them yet. Hope to get a trip out pretty soon but my mom still occupies a good deal of time.

NN5I
01-07-2019, 04:25 PM
You could build a campfire in the living room to try them out at home. Be sure to leave the door open so the smoke (and you) can get out...:whistle: