PDA

View Full Version : Another SK

w7wv
06-02-2008, 06:13 PM
I just found out that an older friend passed on. I had not heard from him in some time and had been off the air during the period that he passed.
That brought to my attention that this forum does not have an SK area like some do.
I don't know if there is any interest in starting one.
I know I am getting tired of losing ham friends myself.
And if you know of a ham that passes on please send a copy of the printed obituary to the FCC so that the license does not go on as active.
My older friend's club did not let anyone know and he passed 6 months ago.
I sent a link to the obituary to the FCC, maybe they will take that and maybe they won't.
His callsign was W1HVC and he was licensed in 1934. Many knew him.

Radio
06-02-2008, 08:24 PM
My condolances on the passing of your friend. I know how you feel. Almost all of the "old guard" in our local radio club have passed on, except two that became so old and feeble they moved out of state to be close to their childrens families. You'd be surprised how warmly a family appreciates all of "Paw-paw's" radio friends coming to the wake/viewing with their callsign badges displayed.

As an SK announcement is something that is somewhat formal, let's put them in "Clubs and Net Ops" for now. I guess I don't want a dedicated SK forum to sit idle for months at a time. But if this is something the forum at large really wants, then creating such a forum is just a few mouse clicks.

Perhaps when we have 1000 or so members?

w7wv
06-03-2008, 08:35 AM
OK, FB.
I have lost a few friends, one here locally. He had been a ham for over 50 years too.
His burial was full of hams and good friends from miles away.
Hopefully I will not have any to post if you know what I mean.