PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Texas

w7wv
08-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Our home is sold and we have been considering places to home base from and travel from.
We have selected Texas as central to our travels and a good place to Winter. No state income taxes and the registration fees are reasonable compared to AZ.
We may use a mail forwarding service, we are not sure yet. We won't have much coming as we pay everything online via the bank automatically each month. We might must have whatever comes in the mail sent to our daughter's home but we are not sure yet.
Does anyone know of a mail forwarding service in the El Paso area by chance they could recomend?

K3NOQ/Mobile
08-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Have you considered the Escapees organization? They have a first rate mail forwarding organizatiion. The postal service sends their people to Escapees to learn on the latest equipment! SKP's also has a brochure prepared on becoming a Texan.

SKP's is also a full service support group for Full time RV'ers. We have been SKP's for about 12 years now and are firm believers in the organization.

John K3NOQ/Mobile in Colorado Today, Tomorrow???? NM

TXiceman
08-17-2008, 07:56 PM
Like said, try Escapees.

Welcome to Texas. El Paso is a bit far to make an eye-ball QSO, so maybe we can chat. NARS (www.w5nc.org) has a 10M net on Mondays and followed by some folks around the state on 80 M if it is open. Details are on the website.

Ken

w7wv
08-18-2008, 08:25 AM
I have not joined any groups or got any camping memberships yet.
We had been keeping things open until we had a firm sale on the home and such.
About 1 October we should be in TX after the closing.

bnmcgraw
08-18-2008, 08:40 AM
Glad to hear you're coming. You might consider the "East Texas Piney Woods" section of Texas. We have reasonable climate, great medical facilities and generally nice people!

Keep us informed.

73, Mac AE5FH

TXiceman
08-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Ken, for some good RV camping folks, look at the Texas Boomers on www.irv2.com or Texasboomers.org.

Ken

w7wv
08-18-2008, 03:20 PM
OK, TNX.
I think I will head for the SKP park in Livingston in late Sept or Oct.
I spent time in both Austin and San Antonio on extended vacations in '84 and 2006 and I liked the area.
Ad all that to no state income tax and decent registration fees and it works for us.
It will serve as a good location to winter long term and travel from.

KC1BUD
08-19-2008, 11:06 PM
How about Oregon, their plates last for three years, and they pay about what I pay for 1 year.

w7wv
08-20-2008, 08:26 AM
But I think they more than make up for it in state income taxes.
AZ takes a chunk out of us as did CA at one time.
I can stand to save on the state income taxes.
I was nice when we lived in WA with no state income tax. When my wife's last job prior to retirement transferred here her pay raise for the promotion was lost to state taxes and truck registration and costs us more money besides.