PDA

View Full Version : Indoor/Outdoor thermometer, cold snap tonight

Radio
01-11-2009, 09:50 PM
While we were down at Dauphin Island I picked up one of those fancy wireless indoor/outdoor thermometers from Radio Shack. Sweet Wife was convinced we were going to get freezing weather on the island at some point and I wanted to get a feel for the cold weather perfomance of the trailers insulation and furnace.

So anyway, the trailer is not winterized, and it's going down to the low 20's tonight. :cold: I don't want to winterize because of my every-other-friday off schedule the company has me on. Too many camping opportunities!

I have an electric heater running in the trailer, the indoor part is monitoring the kitchen and the outdoor sensor is in the storage bay. So far at 32 deg. the kitchen is 56 deg. and the storage bay is 47 deg. so I think I'm good.

If I get nervous I'll fire up one of those Mr Buddy heaters. You can roast a potato with that thing...:hot:

One Country Boy
01-11-2009, 11:03 PM
That's a good idea Wade. I have a sensor in the 5'er here. The monitor is by my bed. I can keep track of the temp and humidity in the RV. You can probably also set an alarm for a particular low temp also can't you ?

I run a dehumidifier in the camper as well, when not in use during the winter. That gives a little heat.

Radio
01-12-2009, 07:09 AM
Went out this morning, the outdoor temp was 26 deg. The kitchen temp was 49 deg and the cargo bay was 38 deg.

Not bad.

wa8yxm
01-12-2009, 08:03 AM
The major danger is to exposed water pipes and tanks If your tanks are enclosed then

1: Dump the waste tanks, you can add a quart of Pink stuff if you wish to keep the dump valves moist (or not if it's going to be used again soon) do not add fresh water to them however.

Put any of the following in the compartment with the tanks

1: light bulbs about 100 watts per side Make sure the bulb does NOT touch plastic

2: A string of C-9 Christmas tree bulbs (These do not get hot enough to damage plastic compartments)

3: CVS now carries the "World's smallest space heater" 150 watts

In all 3 cases I'd sugest using a thermal outlet such as This one (http://www.heatersplus.com/eh38.htm) OR another like it

Radio
01-12-2009, 08:12 AM
The tanks are enclosed and they are empty. Plus the trailer has tank heaters. Aside from the outside shower which probably still has pink stuff in it from the last time we winterized, none of the plumbing is exposed and the water has been mostly drained from the system.

w3zi
01-12-2009, 09:20 AM
Often thought of putting APRS in the RV along with some sensors to monitor the temp and perhaps other stuff when I am not there... just so i can check things out from time to time.
73, Mark W3ZI

One Country Boy
01-12-2009, 10:04 AM
We had a low of 37 here last night. It's only 47 right now (10:02 AM CT) with a 6 mph north wind.

Tanks are drained here, all the water lines and hot water heater. We get maybe 3 or 4 hard freezes a winter.

Radio
01-12-2009, 06:48 PM
I give up.

It's going down to 16 deg (F) here this week. I just broke down and winterized the trailer. If I get a change to go anywhere then I'll just flush it out when I get there, like I did on Dauphin Island. It doesn't take that long to do, but you need full hookups so you have a place to dump the water you use to flush with.

Now I need another jug of pink stuff.

jagco
01-13-2009, 02:41 PM
I've got an extra jug of pink stuff. Come on over to Illinois :hisign:

Radio
01-13-2009, 04:02 PM
I've got an extra jug of pink stuff. Come on over to Illinois :hisign:

If you're in Illinois you better keep a jug handy for the house! :cold:

jagco
01-14-2009, 02:41 PM
You're not kidding. We're supposed to get down to zero, tonight, with a wind chill of -15.

One Country Boy
01-15-2009, 06:57 AM
Good morning Gentlemen (usung the term loosely;)),

I know it's much colder where most of you are located than here. We southerners aren't geared for these temperatures. We had a low of 30 again last night. That's normal for this time of year. A few mornings every winter with freezing or slightly below freezing temps. The below forcast was iussued this morning by Tallahassee Weather for our area.

Television weatherman said last night that it will be freezing before sundown this evening and tomorrow. Now that is unusual for us.

We've been watching the national news here and the weather in the north is certaily dangerous. Becareful up there guys.

Jim - W4EWA

National Weather Service Forecast

TODAY
today mostly sunny. highs 57 to 62. northwest winds 5 to 10 mph with higher gusts in the afternoon.
TONIGHT
tonight clear and cold. lows 22 to 26 away from the immediate coast...26 to 30 along the coast. north winds 5 to 10 mph.
FRIDAY
friday sunny. highs 46 to 51. north winds 10 to 15 mph with higher gusts in the afternoon.
FRIDAY NIGHT
friday night clear and very cold. lows 15 to 20 away from the immediate coast...20 to 25 along the coast. north winds around 5 mph or less.
SATURDAY
saturday sunny. highs 51 to 56. northeast winds around 5 mph.
SATURDAY NIGHT
saturday night clear. patchy frost. lows 23 to 29 inland...30 to 35 along the coast.
SUNDAY
sunday partly cloudy. highs 58 to 63.
NWS Forecast: 327 AM EST THU JAN 15 2009 /227 AM CST THU JAN 15

Andy N1ORK
01-15-2009, 07:48 AM
Ok Jim, justr keep rubbing it in whydon'tcha.
Manchester, CT

SEVERE WEATHER ALERT

Forecast Details: Today Thursday:

Intermittent snow showers, especially early. Very cold. High near 15F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 60%. Snow accumulations less than one inch.
Manchester, CT

Forecast Details: Friday:

Mostly sunny skies. Cold. High 16F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph.
Manchester, CT

Forecast Details: Saturday:

Times of sun and clouds. Highs in the upper teens and lows in the low teens.

Andy - n1ork

Oboy
01-15-2009, 12:12 PM
I have quit using the pink stuff in my water lines. I have been using an air compressor to blow out the water lines. I will first undo my high-low plugs and let the water drain that way, then hook up the compressor with an adaptor to the fresh water inlet, set it to 10 lbs, go inside and open the water facets one at a time until I have most of the water out of that leg. (mist) When all of them are done Ill reopen the high-low plugs and let it run through them. This is done with the bypass valves for the water heater. I drain that by itself. Then Ill drain the gray tank. I do add the pink stuff to the tanks. It has been working for me.

Mark K5WMH

Radio, so what are your thoughts on that antenna?

jagco
01-15-2009, 01:19 PM
We will actually only get up to 10º here today. It's only 8º now at 1:18 PM. I'm not even going outside in my condition. Too many health problems to risk it.

One Country Boy
01-16-2009, 10:24 AM
Ok Jim, justr keep rubbing it in whydon'tcha.

I'm sorry Andy. What is it they say about, "when you think things are bad, just look around and someone has always got it worse ?" I guess that is certainly true in this case. Looking at some of these temps you guys have up there makes me even more proud to come from the south. Jacqo said it ONLY got up to 10 degrees there today, WOW !!!

29 was the low here last night. That's KOLD for this Florida Kracker !!:jitter:

w3zi
01-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Well if you guys need a get-away.....comon down!!

===============================
AccuWeather Forecast
for MIAMI
===============================

TODAY
Rather cloudy with a shower
H 72

TONIGHT
Considerable cloudiness
L 56

SATURDAY
Intervals of clouds and sun
H 72 / L 56

SUNDAY
Times of sun and clouds
H 75 / L 58

MONDAY
Partly sunny
H 76 / L 53

TUESDAY
Partly sunny
H 72 / L 52

Last night I did have to put socks on and turned the electric blanket on setting 1.

:D

jagco
01-16-2009, 01:12 PM
I'd love to take a trip to Miami right about now. too bad DW can't get off work and the funds aren't available.