PDA

View Full Version : Power for New Rig

W6DCS
02-12-2009, 01:05 PM
For those that own Chevy Duramax's - where do you run your power from? I looked and I can get it from a few places, one of the batteries, the 80 amp stud at the fuse block, or the emergency jump/charge stud. It is for a Kenwood TM-710.

jagco
02-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Don't have a Duramax, but any of those sounds like it would work. Just take the shortest route, and fuse accordingly.

W6DCS
02-12-2009, 06:55 PM
The batteries are a bit tight, I was thinking of tapping into the 80 amp buss on the fuse block. It's my understanding the post where the 40 amp trailer comes off of is the same post they run the PTO. I am hoping someone has used this tap and can tell me if there is enough power.

w3zi
02-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Hi - I have a GMC 1/2 Gas and was fortunate to find the battery connects to the alternator through a stud compatment that is located right underneath the alternator. I take it you probably have dual batteries on your Durmax and the diesel is not set up this way.

In any case, most of the GM vehicles I have seen (including my MH Workhorse Chassis) have at least one fused stud that is there to accomdate accessories. The one on the my MH has two seperate fused 40 Amp studs. Thats where I plan to hook up my radio and I am sure it will do fine. Might actually be listed on the fuse cover ?

Hope this helps -- 73
Mark, W3ZI

Vette Racer
02-12-2009, 09:46 PM
I get mine off the passenger side battery.

wa8yxm
02-13-2009, 09:03 AM
I would go with either the 80 amp stud or the jump start stud..Where I went on my car (not a duramax but still a chevy) was the jump start stud but I only run 35 watts in the car

In the Motor home I went with chassis batteries for the TM-733 and the main House 12 volt panel for the TS-2000

TXiceman
02-14-2009, 07:56 PM
On my Ford, I went directly to the port side battery.

Any of you guys getting injector noise on HF with the Ford diesel. No noise on VHF/UHF.

Ken

N2THO
02-22-2009, 11:21 PM
Pasenger side battery on my duramax. Lots of noise on the hf side though...

w3zi
02-23-2009, 07:33 AM
Injector noise is tough. In the end I think that was the source of the noise my Dad had it on his HF rig in his Ford Powermax. I have not tried it, but have heard some people reduce it and some other auto RFI by using cooper wrap around the wiring. Might work around the injector wiring.

Mark