PDA

View Full Version : K7N Air FIlter vs MPG

Radio
02-13-2009, 05:01 PM
OK guys, this may be just a fluke, but....

Last week I installed a K&N Air Filter on my 07 F-150 (5.4 w/3.55 axle, tow package) I filled up a few days later and today I calculated my MPG on the first tank of gas.

Whereas before I was getting 16.4 mpg on my daily commute my calculation says I got 19.48 on this tank. That's 3 mpg. That's outstanding. And that's just the filter, not the intake kit.
So now I'm thinking, is this a :waggle:, or a :bag:, or a :bounce:

I'll make a few more calculations over the next few weeks and let you know.

One Country Boy
02-13-2009, 05:47 PM
I've been told they really work Wade. That's the same engine and rear end I had in my '99 F150. I miss my 150, it was a hoss of a truck and very nice. I'm told they make the same type kits for the diesel like I have now. I'm glad it's working for you. I may have to try it on the diesel. It also gave you a little more hp didn't it ?

W6DCS
02-13-2009, 07:18 PM
I tried one on my diesel, didn't change the MPG at all, seemed to have a bit more power. I am thinking about going to a Banks Intake with the ram air option.

TXiceman
02-14-2009, 07:54 PM
If you check the diesel Bulletin Boards, they are generally saying not to use a the K&N on a diesel. It passes more dirt and will kill a turbo. On the gasser, do not use too much oil on the media as it will kill you mass aair sensor.

Ken

Radio
02-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Ken...It was pre-oiled at the factory.
Jim...I dunno about horse power as I have no way to measure it.

I'm really looking forward to finishing up this tank of gas so I can do another calculation. I keep thinking of all the things that could go wrong to give me bad numbers, but all the errors I can think of would false with worse MPG, not better.

w3zi
02-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Dad had one on his Ford D350 Diesel he uses to tow the 5er. He seems to have good luck with it -- He also had a Power Chip that he got for the engine computer that helped with MPG. I have read though on some of the Forums Mixed comments on the K&N Filter. Was thinking about getting one for my Gas MH (Workhorse) but decided to wait until I found out more. I know they have been around for several years (K&N) so would be surprised if they impacted warranties etc as others have said.

Mark, W3ZI

bnmcgraw
02-15-2009, 06:46 PM
The K&N is a part of the full Banks package I installed on my Triton V 10. The overall result was outstanding, but no appreciable increase in mileage.

Well satisfied with the combination.

Increase in HP was evident. Application of the chip and the tranny override were noticable.

I do follow the cleaning instructions to the letter.

73 Mac AE5FH

Radio
02-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Chatted with a mechanic shop owner today at church. He says people make 2 mistakes with K&N filters:

1. They fail to clean them, ever, reducing airflow to the point equal to worse than a dirty stock filter.
2. Using way to much oil.

Well, duh. The thing comes with instructions that need to be followed. :rabbit:

One Country Boy
02-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Ken...It was pre-oiled at the factory.
Jim...I dunno about horse power as I have no way to measure it.

I'm really looking forward to finishing up this tank of gas so I can do another calculation. I keep thinking of all the things that could go wrong to give me bad numbers, but all the errors I can think of would false with worse MPG, not better.

I was told by a friend (also F150 owner and Ford mechanic) that he could tell an appreciable difference in the trucks performance. That was my reference to more hp. He said he could tell a difference in the towing performance.

I don't think you could go wrong from the reports I've heard. Will be waiting for another report.

Jim

w3zi
02-16-2009, 08:23 AM
Dont know about its source but I saw a refernce to this which is a so called "Independent" test of Air Filters -- Its on a Duramax Forum -- Gets to a point with some of the aftermarket stuff you just dont know what to believe. As I said, my Dad had one on his Ford and had good luck with it.
Here is the Link... http://www.duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

Mark, W3ZI

wa8yxm
02-17-2009, 06:27 AM
I keep hearing that the K&N passes more dirt and grit.. I don't know..

I do know this

My brother races dirt bikes on occasion.. Now these bikes are operated under just about the dirtiest conditions you can imagine, the riders eat a lot of dirt.

Most all of 'em run K&N filters (Per George) and of course they often tear down the engines since they work the .... you know... out of them.

And there is NO sign of dirt or grit getting past the K&N

I run a K&N on my towed (Way less expensive if I have to replace the engine plus the sensor that is senistive to oil on my Workhorse is located in a different location and hooked up in a different manner and the odds of it getting oil coated if I over-oil the K&N are precisely zero.

And I've towed that thing through the desert. I had a quarter inch of grit on everything in the engine compartment, When I pulled the cover the intake was full of grit.. ALL ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE FILTER.. No evidence of grit penetrating the filter at all.

So, pardon me if I don't believe the dirt warnings.

now the oil covered intake sensor..... I've never seen that either but as I said the design of the intake on my towed.. I won't. the sensor it mounted differently LOTS differently

Radio
02-23-2009, 07:55 PM
OK, I jumped the gun a little bit and didn't go the usual 340 miles or so. Filled up at 279.9 miles with 18.578 gallons which calculates out to 15.06 MPG.

What the heck is that all about? What is going on with this truck? I can't recall any appreciable difference in driving style or weather conditions.

Maybe somebody siphoned off a gallon or two while I was parked at the shopping center where I meet my carpool.

:rain:

K5OIT
02-24-2009, 09:08 AM
Different refiners will make a difference in your mileage, especially if you use cheap fuel and then put in a major brand. Go to same pump at same dealer and fill to the brim, then check it.
Had a K&N on my truck when I bought it used. (7.3 Diesel) Ran my finger down the air intake hose and could feel the grit. Immediately changed the whole filter assembly, to the optional super filter Ford makes, and now it's clean with no grit when I check it. The Chevy board did the K&N test on a flow bench and the results were very conclusive in my opinion. Mileage didn't change. Will never run K&N stuff ever again. .
Good luck, safe travels and happy camping!

w6pea
02-26-2009, 12:11 AM
I have several vehicles, my F250 has a K&N filter in it. I have had in the vehicle for 100,000 miles. I now have 170,210.4 miles on it as of yesterday when I put gas in it. 460cid. V-8 I get the oil changed in this vehicle every 3500 miles, I also put a new oil filter in it. I inspect it every oil change, and every 13,000 I clean the K&N (I know a bit of overkill) I think they say every 25000 depending on the driving conditions. :bounce:
In my xyl's van a Ram Van with a 318cid. V-8 we do the same it only has 100,000 on it. As of last month. :waggle:
In our RV we have a V-10. When we changed the oil the first time at 4500 miles, it had a K&N fiter in it from the previous owner. I took it out at 15000 miles and put a new one in it. :bag:

i have noticed no significant change in the mileage of any of my vehicles.
:2cents:

I use semi synthetic oil in all of my vehicles.

73 de w6pea

Radio
03-02-2009, 08:50 AM
OK...my latest mesured MPG was 17.4 which is 1 MPG up from the life long average of 16.4. I bet this continues to fluctuate, but a gain of 1 MPG would actually be what I expect to get.

We'll continue to measure.

donnie
04-18-2009, 09:50 AM
FWIW, when I got my 05 diesel, I didnt go with K&N but put an ArRaid filter in it.
After 6000 miles, it had pulled itself apart.
I put a AMsoil in and have had it ever since.
One thing I like about it is to clean it, is pull it, blow it off and reinstall.
Hardest part is getting the air assembly disassembled and reassembled.
Im considering putting the same thing on our MH with the Triton.

aintgotnun
04-18-2009, 10:10 AM
FWIW, when I got my 05 diesel, I didnt go with K&N but put an ArRaid filter in it.
After 6000 miles, it had pulled itself apart.
I put a AMsoil in and have had it ever since.
One thing I like about it is to clean it, is pull it, blow it off and reinstall.
Hardest part is getting the air assembly disassembled and reassembled.
Im considering putting the same thing on our MH with the Triton.

WOW your AirRaid tore up? I've had mine in my truck for over 100k and have cleaned and re-oiled it 3 times.

I do know what you mean about the Amsoil filters though. I've got one in my scoot. Easy cleaning.

donnie
04-18-2009, 10:29 AM
The AirRaid has a felt piece on the bottom similar to the stock diesel filter.
The felt on mine had shredded. Luckily, it didnt get sucked into the turbo.
When I took the filter off to check it, it looked like fiberglass had been sucked into the air intake.
IV got a pic of the filter somewhere.

Radio
04-18-2009, 09:45 PM
And for the record, the final MPG results are in...I'm right back at 16.4 mpg average, which is exactly where I started. I was hoping for better.

Well, since I got laid off, I guess my fuel cost will go way down, since I got no place to go!

McKannick
04-22-2009, 06:10 PM
Another one added here, just put a K & N into my v8 Tundra, getting about the same MPG as 'radio' at 19.8 around town. Haven't towed with the new filter, waiting to see what that's like.