PDA

View Full Version : GPS POI for repeaters

Shellback62
03-13-2009, 08:20 PM
Has anyone created a POI file for GPS devices that would display the nearest repeater as one drove down the road? Since the national calling frequency is seldom used, this would be a fun addition. The POI could display the call sign, frequency and PL tone.

One Country Boy
03-14-2009, 05:39 AM
You know I had never thought of that, but a great idea. I'm not aware of one. I use a Tom Tom GPS here. It has a feature that warns you if you are approaching a campground, airport, post office, just a huge number of places of interest. It would be great if there was a POI file for repeaters. I would like to have one for the Tom Tom. Great idea. Makes me wonder if there isn't one out there as well ?

Jim

Andy N1ORK
03-14-2009, 07:09 AM
Try this link:
http://www.poi-factory.com/taxonomy/term/40

You have to register, but no big deal. Haven't tried any of the POI files yet, but did download a garmin .csv file of US 2m repeaters. Not sure how this works. I just did a search for repeaters in the site's search box.

jagco
03-15-2009, 08:53 PM
Andy, that looks like a great site. I don't have GPS yet, but plan to at some point.

One Country Boy
03-16-2009, 06:55 AM
Andy,

Thanks for posting that site and thanks to ShellBack62 for inquiring. I had never considered the possibility that repeaters could be added to a GPS. I don't know why not though. I've had my Tom Tom for several years. It's a nice gadget and sure comes in handy when traveling through unfamiliar areas. I've been looking at the site you posted. It tells you how to convert certain files to the format needed for different GPS's. Now I just need to put my 2-meter in the truck. :headphones:

Jim

wa8yxm
03-16-2009, 08:33 AM
Though I do not know of a GPS. POI for repeaters I do know of laptop software that shows the location of repeaters.. Travel + from ARRL

There is also a PDA application that shows them but alas, I've lost my PDA