PDA

View Full Version : How many use APRS while traveling ?

N7OQ
11-28-2007, 06:49 PM
I Have a Kenwood TM-d700a and use it when ever I take a road trip. It's nice to give family members the link to findu.com so they can check and see where you are at in your trip.

Radio
11-28-2007, 08:16 PM
I used to. But I have upgraded to the TM-D700A as well as a new truck and haven't got the APRS stuff back in yet. Besides, I only use it on trips and haven't been anywhere lately. This will change.

One of my winter projects is getting the home APRS back up and running for Skywarn stuff

Radio

Richard Stouffer
11-28-2007, 08:46 PM
I have it rigged on the RV, but I have the dual-bander too close to the GPS antenna for the RV navigation unit. So I can have either navigation for the motorhome and nobody knows where I'm at, or I can let everybody know where I'm at, but I won't know where I am.

I guess I need to get off my butt and move the dual-bander.

N9MXX
11-30-2007, 07:00 AM
xxx

wa8yxm
11-30-2007, 09:22 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how to use APRS, I do understand that a GPS in my vehicle connects to a TNC which his hooked to my Radio and reports via packet, but on what frequency? The problem I see is that the possible frequencies I know the reliability of contact is not as good as I'd like for this kind of reporting.

kd8wdave
01-28-2008, 08:18 AM
APRS national freq is 144.39 simplex as far as I know. There are a number of IGATE links I think they are called, that are interfaces to the internet. I use a simple 'tiny-trak' , GPS, and one 5 watt radio. Setup is rather simple to do and I leave it on all the time. We probably have about 8-10 users in our club who are connected at all times.
If there is another freq used on 2m , I don't know or have never used it.

Andy N1ORK
01-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Does anyone know of a way to use the Pharos GPS-500 reciever that came with my MS Streets and Trips 2007 for APRS? It is a USB unit for my laptop. I will also check with the folks at Tiny-Trak if that's a possibility.
Andy - N1ORK

wa8yxm
01-29-2008, 08:05 AM
I wonder how APRS would work when I'm traveling.. Is there a consistent network and frequency for the packet reporting, what frequency is it, and how likely am I to 'Fall off the face of the earth" map wise as I travel some of the less populated roads of our great nation?

That, and the a few other issues, Keep me from getting involved

However, the way my motor home is set up (I have a primary shack and a Mobile station) it would be no problem at all to dedicate one of those radios to APRS when in motion Just need to add one antenna and the interface, Might not even need the interface

w6pea
01-29-2008, 08:54 AM
Does any one have the web site for tracking APRS ?

I used to have a link but lost it.

wa8yxm
01-30-2008, 07:37 AM
APRS national freq is 144.39 simplex ......

Thanks, will park a receiver there and hear what I can hear, If I can hear enough I'll set it up