PDA

View Full Version : KB2GSD SK - Walter Cronkite, Jr

One Country Boy
07-20-2009, 03:48 PM
I'm sure many of us listened to this gentleman bring us the evening news. That was back in the day when the news was the news and not filled with opinions, etc.. Walter Cronkite has not been on in years, but the thoughts of him sure brings back memories. Many events occurred during his tenure as a reporter.

w3zi
07-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Yep thats for sure... Never forget Walter that evening we all sat in the living room listening to the Moon Landing and First steps etc. Remember my Grandad looking at his watch and saying the time out loud.... I think it was 10:28pm or something like that.. it was more to mark the moment...

Radio
07-20-2009, 09:28 PM
OK, let me get this right, Walter passed away 40 years to the day of the Apollo moon landing? (July 20, 1969)

That was my 13th birthday, Walter was a big part of it.

KC1BUD
07-20-2009, 10:54 PM
OK, let me get this right, Walter passed away 40 years to the day of the Apollo moon landing? (July 20, 1969)

That was my 13th birthday, Walter was a big part of it.

Wow, you were just a youngster I was 17 years 4 months and 4 days old at the time and I definately remember it. Every time I see the clips on TV it all comes back to me as if it is a recent thing.
Of course I thought that by now we would have at least a colony on the moon if not walked on Mars as well.

Andy N1ORK
07-21-2009, 05:08 AM
I think Walt passed on the 19th, but close enough. I was 24, we had just bought a Sharp 14" color tv in preperation for watching the landing. Over $400 then, it was our wedding (August 9th) gift to ourselves. We sat in our new apartment and watched all day. I'll never forget it. Yeah, after 2001 A Space Oddessy came out, we thought we'd be on Mars by now. They say maybe in another 20 years. Plan to be around then too.
Andy

Radio
07-21-2009, 06:14 PM
Oh, OK, well I was out camping with all news sources turned off as I was well tired of listening to the mass media frenzy telling me over and over "Michael Jackson's mostly fake dead body has decomposed a little more today..."

And the distraction of Kathy's school closing thrown in, I just missed it.

I liked Walter. :(