PDA

View Full Version : New toy

TXiceman
08-25-2009, 09:00 PM
Just got an Acer Aspire One with 2GB ram and 160GB HD. Set it up with Ham Radio Deluxe and DM with the FT897D. Wanted to have something nice an portable to take in the RV or where ever and work some digital. Worked gret, but tonight not much on PSK or anything else for that matter.

Really a pretty neat LITTLE computer for the money and less than 1/2 the size of my Big wide screen laptop.

Ken

Andy N1ORK
08-26-2009, 06:25 AM
Hi Ken,
Yeah, I've had an Acer Aspire 5570Z for a couple of years now. Only 1g and 160hd, with a 14" screen, but it works great. The built in wireless works good too. Got an RShack usb to serial converter and I hook it up to my FT857D. Use it for portable operations at camp for logging, PSK and SSTV. Maybe one day I'll put in 2 more gigs of ram.
Enjoy!
Andy - n1ork

TXiceman
08-26-2009, 08:07 AM
The Aspire One is a Netbook with only a 10.1" screen and uses the 1.6gHz Atom processor. Runns XP so no Vista issues. I use the IsoCat which takes the data and Cat port on the 897 to a common box and connect the computer with the USB port and the sound card. (http://n5bia.com/info/electronics.html) (http://n5bia.com/info/electronics.html). Slick little box.

K3NOQ/Mobile
08-30-2009, 07:38 PM
Two thumbs up in my book!

Just got one myself. Friend here at the CORA CG had one and we were using it to set up our new open mesh wifi network. Great screen display in bright sunlight (make sure you know how to adjust the brightness) and it is pretty fast. Mine has the 6 cell battery and has lasted all day with plenty of battery left while examining the system here. Pretty hot wifi too! Had mine for a few weeks now and could not be happier with it. I see some advertised now with a 60GB solid state drive in lieu of the 160 HD.

One Country Boy
08-31-2009, 08:01 AM
That a neat little computer. Good prices also. Great for portable use as you are doing Ken.

I downloaded TeatherBerry the other day. They are allowing a seven day free trial. If you don't have wifi in a particular location, you can tether a BlackBerry to your laptop. One time fee for the software, I think $59, and not have to have an aircard with a monthly fee. It works great. Speeds are good, very fast. It just allows you to use the BB as a modem. I'll probably purchase the software. I read on the site where the company plans to modify the software for other phones as well.

Have a good time with the new toy. Hope to run into you on digital one day.

Jim

Oldmax
03-28-2012, 05:18 PM
I bought one for XYL to use with her new Embrodery Machine. Has 2 gig ram - 1.6 - and a 360 HD with Vista. Bought from friend that has more money than since. He bought it and neaver opened the box. Sold to me for 1 $150 . Would buy another for me at that price.

One Country Boy
03-29-2012, 09:07 AM
I bought one for XYL to use with her new Embrodery Machine. Has 2 gig ram - 1.6 - and a 360 HD with Vista. Bought from friend that has more money than since. He bought it and neaver opened the box. Sold to me for 1 $150 . Would buy another for me at that price.

That was a heck of a deal Max. I like that!!

wa8yxm
03-29-2012, 02:51 PM
My new toy is a Dell Mini 1010 my daughter gave me. It caught cold and she coudl no longer use it so she said "If you can get it working it's yours" took me about 10 minutes to get it working and .. Well I filled a request she made (For her pictures) and then slapped the virus silly That took the better part of an hour, most of which was updating and runnign the A/V program.

It too runs HRD. and the Thinkpad R-31 mostly runs HRD-Server So I can now adjust radio from .. Anywhere in the RV.

One Country Boy
03-31-2012, 04:40 PM
Kool !!!