PDA

View Full Version : A Muffler for the RV clock

Radio
08-31-2009, 07:29 PM
You don't notice it until you are out in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night, trying to enjoy the thundering silence of God's creation (the kind of nighttime experience we were designed to have) and then you notice it,

TICK, TICK, TICK...

The clock that came with your RV is amazingly loud!

So I made a muffler for mine. :idea:

Using a piece of open cell foam about 1 inch thick, I cut it so it would fit around the little quartz clockwork and not be visible by protruding beyond the oval shape of the clock face.

I found the clock wouldn't fit back into it's wall bracket with the foam in place, so I cut a slit from the outside edge to the middle of my foam, then hung the clock as normal, then packed my foam in around the clock movement.

Through my unscientific measurement (I listened to it) it seems to be a bit quieter now. (For no cost and 5 minutes of my time)

wa8yxm
09-01-2009, 09:27 AM
NO clock came with My RV.. I do, however have several clocks

One mechanical analog I can only hear if I'm seated in the ham shack (or standing in it) it's that quiet

Two electroinc (Local date/time and local/UTC time)
One "Atomic" clock in the galley area (Radio set by WWV)
One smaller "Atomic" on wife's side of bed, plus a regular digital on my side, Several devices with built in clocks (Radio, DVD recorder etc) 2 computers, plus two digital video recorders, watch (Digital) and more.

Only the one goes "Tick"

Andy N1ORK
09-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Geeeez! No wonder your clocks are noisy, they only go Tick, Tick, Tick. :wall: They're supposed to go Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock. You guys need to get them checked out. :idea:
73!!!

W6ZKH
09-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Well, I have 1 Grandfather clock, 2 wall clocks, 2 mantel clocks, 1 Coo-Coo clock.......all antiques and "tick & gong" all day/night long. I finally just gave up and only clock I wind now is the Grandfather, which has a nice mellow tone. Course........if you go to my son's house, he has 54 Antique wall clocks, 5 Grandfather's, 3 Coo-Coo clocks and 8 Mantel clocks........talk about noisy at the 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and hour marks !! Darn near shakes the house. He gripes too, as when he's gone on fires (Capt for State Forestry), no one will wind them, heh.........I wonder why??? Did I mention he collect clocks?? Also, he repairs them, as he's found some real good ones that folks couldnt or wouldnt get repaired and got them for just a few $$$. One he found he paid $25 for it, rebuilt it (wooden gear broken;made his own) and now the clock is worth over $750!! He sells on EBay also. He's been gone so much this past month on fires here in the state, that he hasnt gotten to play with his toys, heh....:whistle:

JOhn