PDA

View Full Version : Wiring a Converter Charger

KE5ZRT
12-03-2010, 11:32 AM
This video helped me understand how all of the RV electrical systems work together. It is a little shaky, and the narrator rambles quite a bit, but it was still educational for me.

Wiring a Converter Charger (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXQV22WesFU)

:2cents:

KE5ZRT
12-03-2010, 12:02 PM
This one is even better, and is professionaly filmed...

DIY Power Systems (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6u_24L0jfc)

W9WLS
12-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Good View Chris, BUT.
One thing not mentioned was, before cutting or un-screwing wires from the old converter "TAG" the wire as what wire went where and the amperage fuse that was used on that circuit , saves a bit of guess work and $$ for fuses later sorting things out.
I know that this seems pretty "ELEMENTARY" but you can bet there are those out there that will not do the obvious and wonder why they are blowing fuses.

"You Can't Fix Stupid" - Ron White
;-))

wa8yxm
12-04-2010, 09:16 AM
I know that this seems pretty "ELEMENTARY" but .......

That sounds a whole lot like my advice to folks disconnecting their batteries PAINT THE POSITIVE CABLES RED and the negative ones black..

Yes, the things that are MOST likely to trip us up are teh "Elementary" things such as what you posted..

It is thus good that you reminded us of it.

That said.. On my converter, the positive wire is already RED, no need to paint it (And the negative black) but when it comes to motor homes.. Having the proper colors is.. Frankly... AMAZING.

KE5ZRT
12-07-2010, 06:31 PM
...before cutting or un-screwing wires from the old converter "TAG" the wire as what wire went where and the amperage fuse that was used on that circuit...

Brilliant! Good point...a little masking tape and a permanent marker will save a lot of time and headache!:beer:

KE5ZRT
12-31-2010, 08:18 AM
I have installed my new charger converter. The old one was OEM Progressive Dynamics 15 amp model, circa 1987, and no longer functional. The new charger converter is a PD4045 45 Amp Inteli-Power Mighty Mini Power Center. (http://www.bestconverter.com/PD4045-45-Amp-Inteli-Power-Mighty-Mini-Power-Center_p_353.html) I also replaced the exhausted house batteries with two new 875 cold cranking amp marine batteries. I know that 6 volt golf cart batteries might have been better, but they are much more expensive, and I don't think we are likely to do a lot of boondocking. With the new power center, and batteries, and along with the genset, and new vent free heater, we are ready for power failures, bad weather, whatever!

KF5BET
12-31-2010, 01:59 PM
Way to go Chris....Good luck with the new setup!!!

Oldmax
12-03-2011, 07:09 PM
My camper is a 1985 model Yellowstone it ahs a 30 amp converter in it. while trading for a 4KW Kohler GEN SET I also got the AC-DC power center out of the motorhome I has AC breakers DC fuses and Converter . Put up in case something happens to the one in camper. Will be using the GEN SET on the back bumper on camper. With a new bumper of course. will take pictures when complete.

Oldmax
12-07-2011, 05:40 AM
O all campers I have seen the Neg wires are white. same as netural on AC in camper.