PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Toilet Water Lines

KE5ZRT
01-12-2011, 07:50 AM
Howdy y'all! It has been COLD here in Amarillo this week! Yesterday we had a low of 2 degrees. Two should not be a temperature, two should be reserved for counting cups of coffee or an acceptable amount of doughnuts for a snack, but never a number used to indicate the temperature outside!

:idea:

I learned a neat trick to keep the commode water line from freezing while camping at an RV Park (this has been a problem this week):

With the holding tank dump valve open...
Wedge a 3' piece of 1/2" PVC pipe into the blade seal for the valve at the bottom of the bowl
On the Thetford model that I have, this will hold the drain open, and also allow just enough water to trickle which will prevent freezing. If you use a 3' section of PVC it won't be able to accidently slip into your black tank. Don't forget to open your black tank dump valve or you will have a big mess in the morning!

KE5ZRT
01-26-2011, 09:34 PM
I think since I discovered this I should get to name it. Terra and I have decided to call the toilet freeze prevention process:

TOILET SNORKELING

On cold nights before bed, my wife asks, "Did you snorkel the toilet?" And I reply, "Yes dear, I snorkeled the crapper." ...oh the joys of RV living!

http://www.openroadsradio.net/attachments/photobucket/img_7900_0_af6280b7dfbb9ec5af050f04b53e09a0.jpg

ke5zru
01-26-2011, 09:39 PM
*sigh*

wa8yxm
01-27-2011, 09:34 AM
My rig has enclosed heated tanks, this includes the lines from the water pump (Which is inside the motor home) to the toilet (These lines run through the main "Wet" compartment)

I also added electric lights, good old fashion incandascent lamps. 100 watts on the "Dump valve" end of the compartment and a string of C-9 bulbs under the fresh water tank, total is around 250-3xx watts of light (I'm not sure how many C-9's are in the string, I know I replaced over 16 of them this fall) these lights are tied to a thermostatic outlet (As are the rope lights taped to the fresh water hose and the trouble light next to the park faucet, though that is a different thermostatic outlet)

In testing the temps in the wet bay WITH NO OTHER HEAT were about 10 degrees above outside temps.. and the furnace, when it runs, adds another 10 degrees. So I'm good down to (but not in) single digits.

Radio
01-27-2011, 02:47 PM
What about that "thermal-electric" tape that you wrap around exposed pipes? (It's like an electric blanket for your plumbing.) It consumes very little wattage, stays in place, no fire risk, and is reasonably cheap.

KE5ZRT
12-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Bump!

Radio
12-05-2011, 05:06 PM
I think since I discovered this I should get to name it. Terra and I have decided to call the toilet freeze prevention process:

TOILET SNORKELING

On cold nights before bed, my wife asks, "Did you snorkel the toilet?" And I reply, "Yes dear, I snorkeled the crapper." ...oh the joys of RV living!

http://www.openroadsradio.net/attachments/photobucket/img_9078_0_af6280b7dfbb9ec5af050f04b53e09a0.jpg

WOW! I sure hope you don't forget that PVC pipe is there! Better leave a night light on for safety!:eek:

TXiceman
12-07-2011, 08:33 PM
Yep, if some one sit on the pot during the night, it could be a SURPRISE.......How will you explain that to the Doctor.

Ken

One Country Boy
12-07-2011, 08:45 PM
Oh, and the PAIN of it all !!!

AE5BI
12-11-2011, 09:19 AM
I wrote an article on Winter RVing (http://www.fulltimerv.us/winter/winter.html) a few years ago. Maybe it could help out some folks.