PDA

View Full Version : Signing in to the forum

3 Dog
02-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Greetings,

I'm Jay, KC7LDR, checking in to the forum for the first time. I got interested in ham radio back in the early 60's (am I dating myself) and got my Tech license back in 1995 but never did anything with it. My wife and I spend a lot of time in our motorhome and 4 wheeling in the Jeep we use as a toad and I decided that I wanted something more reliable and with better range than CB in the Jeep just in case I manage to do something stupid out in the pucker brush and need some assistance. I put a dual band VHF/UHF into the Jeep and for some reason that got the ham juices going again. I'm now thinking about an HF for the motorhome that can travel to the stick house as well since I know darn well that the warden isn't going to let me spend the bucks for one in both locations.

The bug bit me enough that last Tuesday evening (this is Thursday) I took and passed the General and I am now studying for the Extra test which I will take (and pass) next month.

Our stick house is in the Pacific Northwest, Seattle area and our home on wheels is a Beaver that we get out in as much as we can. Like everyone else new to the hobby or back into it after a long time away, I have lots of questions that I'm sure I will be looking for input on as time passes. Please forgive me the "stupid questions" that I may wind up posting from time to time. I do know how to use the search forum function but every now and again I don't use the search string so I may wind up asking something that has been asked time after time previously. I'm an old dude, ya gotta take that into account.

73's
Jay (3 Dog)

W9WLS
02-11-2011, 07:39 AM
Welcome aboard Jay !
"The only stupid question is one that is not asked".
You will find people here with a broad range of talent's and opinions.
Ask away !

73, John

Andy N1ORK
02-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Welcome Jay!!
Great bunch of folks here. Post some photos when you get a chance.

Andy - n1ork

Radio
02-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Yeah, ol' 3 Dog wanted on the forum pretty bad.

Seems the automatic login/email do-hickey came all undiscombobulated and I had to remodulate the flamminjamber.

But after about 3 days of fooling around, we finally got him on.

Still don't know what happened. :think:

Welcome aboard, Jay. :hello:

KF5BET
02-12-2011, 07:13 PM
Welcome aboard Jay... Nice to have you on here. Nice bunch of fellows here (and ladies too!)

Love the Northwest. Used to live outside of Portland, OR. I had a job that required me to travel to Seattle almost nightly for a while.

Stick around and tell us all about your camping excursions..

WD8QBQ
02-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Welcome aboard Jay, nice going on the upgraded license.
No dumb questions here, ask away. The thing to worry about is will the answers be correct. Sometimes we make things up. :waggle:

I checked you out on QRZ and your not that old, have you beat by 8yrs.

I wish I would have upgraded to an extra, but alas it's too late now and I no longer see the reason, nor have the motivation:bag:

Your only 2,495 mi away as the crow flys I sure would like to visit your area some day, we could have an eye ball.

JIM :beer:

One Country Boy
02-14-2011, 09:35 AM
Hello and welcome Jay. I don't know that I can add anything that someone else has not already said. Just glad to have you. I guess I'm pretty much diagonally across the country from you.

Looking forward to your posts,

Jim

KE5ZRT
02-14-2011, 06:26 PM
Howdy, from Amarillo and welcome to ORR!

Congratulations on passing your General exam. I am also going to start studying for the extra in the next couple of days so I can help out as a VE, and I am going to start studying for my code proficiency test also.

Good luck, and welcome aboard!

http://www.openroadsradio.net/attachments/photobucket/img_7976_0_ed904ed18d38ed70d0110e932992b065.png

KC1BUD
02-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Welcome Jay.

If I were to guess your age is is probably around mine. I to was bitten back in the early 60s, helping my dad assemble a Heathkit shortwave receiver. I was about 10 at the time.
He wanted to become a ham but was afraid of the code requirement. So when I got my ticket, and found out about Vanity calls I got my call KC1BUD shortly after I got my first ticket. The BUD part is in honor of my Father, it was the nickname he went by all his life.

We travel a lot in our MH, a 07 Damon daybreak, but instead of hauling a toad we haul a trailer so our horse doesn't have to walk.

KC1BUD
02-15-2011, 03:14 PM
Howdy, from Amarillo and welcome to ORR!

Congratulations on passing your General exam. I am also going to start studying for the extra in the next couple of days so I can help out as a VE, and I am going to start studying for my code proficiency test also.

As a general you can be a VE, you just can't administer tests to those testing for extra. As a general you can't be a VEC you must hold an Extra ticket. I am about to send in my exam for VE.

K4AC
02-15-2011, 06:17 PM
General Class VEs can only administer the Technician test:

§97.509 Administering VE requirements.-

(b)(3) Be a person who holds an amateur operator license of the class specified below:
(i) Amateur Extra, Advanced or General Class in order to administer a Technician Class operator license examination;
(ii) Amateur Extra or Advanced Class in order to administer a General Class operator license examination;
(iii) Amateur Extra Class in order to administer an Amateur Extra Class operator license examination.

Doug
K4AC

KC1BUD
02-21-2011, 10:28 PM
General Class VEs can only administer the Technician test:

§97.509 Administering VE requirements.-

(b)(3) Be a person who holds an amateur operator license of the class specified below:
(i) Amateur Extra, Advanced or General Class in order to administer a Technician Class operator license examination;
(ii) Amateur Extra or Advanced Class in order to administer a General Class operator license examination;
(iii) Amateur Extra Class in order to administer an Amateur Extra Class operator license examination.

Doug
K4AC

You are right, I wasn't at all clear on that.

Dizzy-Dick
03-04-2011, 10:58 AM
I would also like to welcome you to the forum. Make yourself at home. All seem to be very nice people. 73's

Radio
03-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Wow... Dizzy Dick is back!

:cheer: