PDA

View Full Version : My New Hamtenna Tornado

KE5ZRT
02-26-2011, 05:13 PM
WARNING: THIS IS NOT INTENDED FOR MOBILE USE!!!

This is my new six-in-one Hamtenna Tornado HF antenna array. I didn't invent it, but I named it anyway! It hears and talks well on 10, 15, 17, 20, 40 & 75 meters. If you look closely, you can tell the mount is bolted to the steel beam beneath the fiberglass roof. There is actually quite a bit of steel framework in the roof, walls and flooring to make an effective ground plane. The mount and hardware are all stainless steel. The mount is a little wobbly and I may replace it with something a little more sturdy, but I don't think it will go anywhere while the RV is parked. I am a full-timer, and we don't expect to travel much.

again...

http://www.openroadsradio.net/attachments/photobucket/img_8009_0_72d3e0b608d619572e0946f9800880b0.jpg
http://www.openroadsradio.net/attachments/photobucket/img_8009_1_f4821434fdd29464fdb79341536a13a3.jpg
http://www.openroadsradio.net/attachments/photobucket/img_8009_2_77f4af4fd4391ed26c7256b52e01c276.jpg

Radio
02-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Not for mobile use, huh?

Yeah, not counting wind, I bet the first bridge would probably take it right out!

I would have named it the dead spider array. ;)

W9WLS
02-27-2011, 06:12 AM
You would make a Porcupine PROUD !

This got posted in your other thread, not sure how that happened but it did... oh well.

Andy N1ORK
02-27-2011, 07:23 AM
I like it!! How were the 'Hamsticks' connected to the coax? would be great to see a pic of that and a closeup of the assembly. Putting two of those back to back and you get muti-band dipole that could be rotated with a small rotator.
Andy - n1ork

KF5BET
02-27-2011, 09:48 AM
There was a motel in Alamogordo, NM when I was growing up that was called the Satellite Inn. It had one of those neon spikey ball things out in front. This kinda reminds me of that!

Looks pretty cool and am glad it works well on all of those bands.

I'm with Andy, would like to see how that thing is put together!!

WD8QBQ
02-27-2011, 06:42 PM

This is my new six-in-one Hamtenna Tornado HF antenna array. I didn't invent it, but I named it anyway! It hears and talks well on 10, 15, 17, 20, 40 & 75 meters. If you look closely, you can tell the mount is bolted to the steel beam beneath the fiberglass roof. There is actually quite a bit of steel framework in the roof, walls and flooring to make an effective ground plane. The mount and hardware are all stainless steel. The mount is a little wobbly and I may replace it with something a little more sturdy, but I don't think it will go anywhere while the RV is parked. I am a full-timer, and we don't expect to travel much.

again...

http://www.openroadsradio.net/attachments/photobucket/img_8017_0_72d3e0b608d619572e0946f9800880b0.jpg
http://www.openroadsradio.net/attachments/photobucket/img_8017_1_f4821434fdd29464fdb79341536a13a3.jpg
http://www.openroadsradio.net/attachments/photobucket/img_8017_2_77f4af4fd4391ed26c7256b52e01c276.jpg

Very smart to have the XYL have a ticket, you can get away with all sorts of neat things.
Reminds me of an inverted Discone

JIM :whistle:

KE5ZRT
02-27-2011, 08:45 PM
60 mph winds today and the Hamtenna Tornado still stands like a dead spider! Its not doing so well on 80 meters though. I may have to borrow an analyzer and retune everything.

Andy N1ORK
02-28-2011, 06:00 AM
Thanks for re-posting those pics again Chris. Could you please tell us and show us how the antenna was made? Where did you get the curved mounting plates, how are they connected to the roof mount and how are the 'Hamsticks' wired? We are all anxious to see your handiwork. Hope to hear you on the EchoLink net tonight.
Andy - n1ork

wa8yxm
02-28-2011, 10:32 AM
I wonder how that would work if it was "hitch" mounted. I can think of a very easy way to do that and I'd have the 37 foot frame rails to act as ground plane. .. I do use a 4btv fed by an auto tuner (long wire tuner) on occasion.. Just now I'm using a long wire though.

PhulesAu
02-28-2011, 08:39 PM
I'm guessing 2 hustler resonator plates with a spacer. What diameter is your coil ?

Dizzy-Dick
03-04-2011, 10:49 AM
I have a Hustler tri-band mobile antenna that has one of those spreader mounting plates. Never thought about adding a second one. Just remove the nut put on the second one, replace nut and you have it. Nice job, the only difference is that the antennae for different bands has large coils at the base of the ones that I have and I only have 10-15-20-40 and 80 meter tops.

Mine worded good on the back of my truck when I was pulling a travel trailer, although it was somewhat directional. Now that I have a motor-home, I have not use it. Thanks for the ideas. Good Job.

KE5ZRT
03-04-2011, 11:03 AM
I like it!! How were the 'Hamsticks' connected to the coax? would be great to see a pic of that and a closeup of the assembly. Putting two of those back to back and you get muti-band dipole that could be rotated with a small rotator.
Andy - n1ork

I have considered the rotatable dipole idea. In fact, here's a link to a multi band hamstick dipole project I have been strongly considering:

http://mysite.verizon.net/cpthaines/id33.html

I have re-worked the design because performance on 75 meters was poor with all 6 hamsticks. Now I am running 3 antennas for 20, 40, and 75 meters and it is performing well. Of course, I can change out any antenna for operations on any other band.

And, I doubled the adapter plates for more durability. The 65mph wind gusts last week bent the single plate a little. Here's a close-up of the coax connections:

http://www.openroadsradio.net/attachments/photobucket/img_8026_0_fc4d75fb1995664afc51750c21e53c7a.jpg

Andy N1ORK
03-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Looks great! I know where to get the tri-band adapter plates, but where did you get the connector from the plate to the coax? Would like to know the parts you used there.
Andy - n1ork

KE5ZRT
03-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Looks great! I know where to get the tri-band adapter plates, but where did you get the connector from the plate to the coax? Would like to know the parts you used there.
Andy - n1ork

The connector for the coax to the plate came with the mount hardware. The mount is from Firestick, and I bought it from the CB and chrome shop down the street from me. The mount was intended to be a door frame mount I believe. Anyhow, the connector is nothing special and can be purchased at any truck stop in the CB section for about $5.

The connectors for the hamsticks can also be bought for $5 each at a truckstop, or you could buy them at a hardware store for $2 (3/8" x 24 thread x 1/2" bolts and couplers).

Andy N1ORK
03-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Thanks Chris! Now I need to go out and get the stuff. I already have the Hamsticks and a dipole mount for the two 20m ones.

K7MEE
03-14-2011, 10:36 PM
So, I see the antenna's. They all look the same length and you have them labeled for the different bands. How are they tuned for each band having one coax running to them? Not smart when it comes to building them.

Andy N1ORK
03-15-2011, 07:15 AM
Mark,
Each 'HamStick' has a whip that can be tuned for best SWR. Don't know how Chris did it, but I would first tune each one seperately with an MFJ analyzer for the band it was designed for. Then I would put them all on the mount and use the analyzer to verify each band and retune as required. On their own, each HamStick should tune to a low SWR, but as they are mounted together, there is proximity interaction between them and they should be retuned. If you use an automatic or manual external tuner, it may not be as critical. One thing you should remember about Hamstick type antennas, is DO NOT insert the whip more than 3" into the top of the coil section.
Andy - n1ork

One Country Boy
03-15-2011, 10:13 AM
I have a Hustler setup similar to that. I've never run the Ham Sticks, just the Hystler resonators. I may give the Ham Sticks a try. That is very interesting.

I have a short and a long shaft to mount beneath the resonators. I sometimes couple both of them together with a barrell type connector and have had good results that way, especially on 40 and 80 meters. The more length you can get beneath the resonators the better the results. Which makes sense.

Like all of us, I'm always looking for a better antenna for the RV. Sure enjoyed this thread.

K7MEE
03-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Thanks Andy. That makes sense. I have an MFJ analyzer. May just have to try that sometime.

KE5ZRT
03-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Mark,
Each 'HamStick' has a whip that can be tuned for best SWR. Don't know how Chris did it, but I would first tune each one seperately with an MFJ analyzer for the band it was designed for. Then I would put them all on the mount and use the analyzer to verify each band and retune as required. On their own, each HamStick should tune to a low SWR, but as they are mounted together, there is proximity interaction between them and they should be retuned. If you use an automatic or manual external tuner, it may not be as critical. One thing you should remember about Hamstick type antennas, is DO NOT insert the whip more than 3" into the top of the coil section.
Andy - n1ork

You pegged it Andy. I had help from an Elmer friend, KC5HKT, to tune to minimum SWR with each antenna individually. I put the multi-mount together later without an analyzer and I crossed my fingers that it would work! :whistle:I am using an LDG Z100 autotuner and the SWR on my radio display shows to be good. I should probably try the analyzer again though. While tuning the whips, I cut 1/4" at a time with an angle grinder (my favorite power tool) until minimum SWR was achieved.

K7MEE, I apologize for being slow to respond, but it looks like Andy did a fine job of explaining my work.

Here's another cool hamstick project that I am going to build next. I think it will perform better than what I have and will eliminate the need for a ground plane. It will be RV park friendly too!
http://mysite.verizon.net/cpthaines/id33.html:jitter:

Andy N1ORK
03-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Great link Chris, I put it into my favorites. I read most of it and it looks pretty easy to build.
Andy - n1ork

W9WLS
03-16-2011, 04:35 AM
Several years ago (while I was still working full time) KB9LOW and I fashioned something very similar to this from the lower half of a "SHAKESPEARE BIG STICK" cb antenna and a piece of Aluminum (block, machined round and drilled & tapped for 3/8X24 by 90 degree spacing) , used the "Hustler" resonators with the 75-80 meter out the top of the thing.
Is a bit narrow banded but with a tuner work's quite well, He's still using it on his camper.
It might be interesting to try one with "HAM-STICKS" , may broad-band it a bit.
73, John