PDA

View Full Version : Field Day 2011

TXiceman
06-15-2011, 12:30 PM
How is everyone spending field day this year.

My club, NARS (w5nc.net) will be setting up 2A - STX and be located just NE of Tomball, Texas. (NNW of Houston).

Again this year I am in charge of the site power requirements and we will be running Honda EU200i generators.

Ken

Andy N1ORK
06-15-2011, 03:13 PM
I'll be operating 10m SSB for our club station W1BRS (BEARS of Manchester). We will probably be operating 8F from CT. Hope to QSO with you.

Radio
06-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Ummm, I have no clue as to field day stuff.

We have a pretty good local club. I need to get back involved with them. I'm pretty well settled into the job scene now, so I guess FD would be a good start.

W9WLS
06-16-2011, 11:30 AM
As for me, I'm staying home out of the heat and "SKETTERS" and parking my rig on 17 meters out of the crowd .
May even get into a bottle of scotch I've had since Christmas (if I can keep the cat out of it, he's a LUSH).

TXiceman
06-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Radio, come on over to Houston and I guarantee that we can put you to work.

Ken

KF5BET
06-20-2011, 11:14 AM
Our club will be located in Rayne LA off I-10. We have operated from this location for several years now. I will be there for most of Saturday. Church on Sunday and then might return to end the event.
Hope everyone has fun and be safe.

KE5ZRT
06-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Myself and another ham are coordinating our club's Field Day event. We will be operating 4A TX as W5WX with a free VHF station. We will be working outdoors at the Don Harrington Discovery Center in Amarillo. 73 and Happy Contesting!

TXiceman
07-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Well, I never made it on the air. I was busy helping on a lot of other aspects and we had enough operators to man the radios. The GOTA ran a number of Boy Scouts through that were working on their Radio badge.

It was a fun time, with a fair amount of activity on 10 and 15m for a change.

The one problem we have is that every year it is HOT in SE Texas by the end of June. I had some emails back and forth with the the ARRL about moving Field Day to an earlier date in the year. All kinds of excuses, but mostly it was "that is the way it has been done for 70 years and the members do not want to change". When I asked for a membership poll I was given a flat NO. Now how is that for being open minded.

I know up north, the end of June is beautiful, but in the Gulf Coast area it is Summer. Their answer was to move it indoors. What? I thought part of this was an exercise to operate in adverse conditions.

Like most clubs we are mostly older members and the heat is a major concern and a lot of them pass on Filed Day because of the heat.

So if you feel that Filed Day could be moved up 4 to 6 weeks, please contact ARRL and let them know and ask for a membership poll.

Ken