View Single Post
Old 08-26-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
Manual Garcia O'Kely

Actually, while we sometimes used ingredients out of the can, we don't usually eat that alone - exceptions being Bush's beans - which need no help besides being heated, and Hormel Chile, which gets poured on corn chips and covered in cheese and onions OR mixed into Macaroni and Cheese.

BTW, for traveling, buy the Kraft Deluxe dinner - you don't need milk and butter, all you need is water to boil the macaroni.

I did find a recipe for skillet lasagne, which is handy not having an oven - but even cutting it in 1/2 it's still almost too much food for two people.

No one but me has ever finished a bowl of my special glop which is made from cheese, salami, Ramen noodles and misc. spices. It's got enough calories to keep you warm on a winter bivouac.

We learned a fair bit about outdoor gourmet cooking this trip, I even made a really nice pork tenderloin with a cabernet reduction sauce one night. Swiss steak is good but takes a lot of gas to cook over two hours.

I like sausages - Johnsonvilles are the best Bratwurst, but I'll eat almost anything that is not too pasty - like a good stout polish, smoked, kielbasa all are good for me. Pair that with beans and some decent bread, a salad and I'm a happy camper.
Manual Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote