View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I spent 38 years as a TECHNICIAN (part of it as a Tech + of course) which meant I could paper upgrade to General... So I did, in 2006, and rewarded myself with a TS-2000

Well.. I found I had a problem.. You see the Yesau FT-51R hand held would transmit only on frequencies authorized to a TECH or Tech + so if I tried to transmit out of band it just blooped at me. (The computer equivalent of saying "You can't do that stupid")

The TS-2000, however, can transmit (well could then) on any frequency authorized for Ham Radio use in the USA.. This included frequencies reserved for EXTRA CLASS, which of course I did not have. Now that I had to fix. Which I did, that Thanksgiving (Well technically the Saturday before) The fix required a #2 lead pencil and a dollar store calculator and as I recall $14.00. Passed EXTRA on the first attempt. Got the paper document for Christmas.

Then for Feburary... We got more frequencies I can not use cause the TS-2000 won't go there as configured and I don't wish to re-configure

Wish Kenwood would release a software update that would give me full EXTRA range without the MARS/CAP mod

So what am I saying here: "As soon as you pass that GENERAL test... Get the Extra Class study guide"
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote