Thread: Checking In
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011, 05:43 PM   #6
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS

OK Moe, Here we go:
First of all, CW IS NOT a lost art, a good clean recognizable fist on a straight key or real bug seems to be, if you can master cw and do it cleanly you have truly accomplished something.
As to DX-ing, you will most likely want to up-grade ASAP, but you can work some good long 2 & 6 ssb in and from that area.
Since you are just South of ATL, you have several good group's to listen to on 2 meters and 70 cm , do a google for the South Eastern Linked Repeater Net , If I remember right the hub is on 444.600 (KD4YDC's repeater) near Peachtree City.
There are also a couple of good group's in the Macon area with full time linked repeaters on 2 meters and 70 cm (Cherry Blossom Inter-tie).
As to Equipment, take a good look at the Yaesu FT857 and it's cousin the FT897 both radios cover HF, 6, 2, & 70 cm (they both put all the eggs in one basket which I don't really care for but are good rig's none the less) I use a 857 mobile with a Tarheal 2 for hf & 6 and a comet antenna for 2 mtrs and 70 cm with a scanner piggy-backed to listen to 2 & 70 when I'm on HF ( this works for me anyway) the draw back is that either of these radios will be in the $600.00 +/- range used.
Listening is a very good idea, listen to the Old timer's whether on 2 meters or HF (you can learn a lot by listening) .
I had best "put a sock in it" before I start rambling and put my whole foot in my mouth.
Bottom line is, if you have a question, ask , someone here will answer !
73, John