Thread: Water leak
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #10
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Using wikipedia to expand our vocabulary...

Silicone grease is a waterproof grease made by combining a silicone oil with a thickener. Most commonly, the silicone oil is polydimethylsiloxane and the thickener is amorphous fumed silica. Using this formulation, silicone grease is a translucent white viscous paste, with exact properties dependent on the type and proportion of the components.

The word "silicone" is nowhere in sight... And here I thought it was merely slimy stuff in a tube.

The last time I purchased silicone grease it came in an aerosol can. Perhaps you were on the wrong isle?
Nowhere in sight? I counted it four times in what you quoted.

In any case, I also searched the labels for words containing "silane", "siloxane", and similar fragments indicating silicones. In general, silicones are any modifications of organic molecules in which some or all of the carbon atoms are replaced by atoms of carbon's close kin silicon, which in many ways exhibits chemical behavior similar to that of carbon because of its similar electron shell structure. Don't ask for explanations -- I'm a little over my head here.